Chapter 34: Back in His Arms

Seohyun took a deep breath. She was about to face her father after a year. Until now, he still scares her but she knew she has to do it. Changmin said she should follow her heart. Right at this moment, her heart is screaming for freedom. Her 20 years of existence were only filled with heartaches and it has to end now.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" Changmin asked her.

She nodded. "I'll be fine," she said although she’s not very sure about that.

"Alright. I'll be right here if you need me," Changmin assured her. They were standing just behind the door of her father’s office at SME building.

"Ok," she replied before pushing the door open.

She found her father in front of his desk working as usual. He looked up when he heard her enter.

"H-hi dad," she said with hesitation.

Silence. Her father didn't say anything and for Seohyun it feels like the calm in the middle of a storm. It made her nervous.

"I cancelled the engagement," she said although she knew her father already knows.

He stood up and walked towards her. She could feel his furry with each passing moment. "I thought you're going to be useful somehow but I was wrong. You did nothing but disappoint me."

It was fine with her. Besides she already stopped trying to please him a long time ago.

His father took the pictures on top of his desk and showed it to her. They were pictures of Jaejoong and herself during JYJ's showcase in New York. "You broke your engagement for this guy?" His laughter echoed in the whole room. "He doesn't love you Seohyun. He probably hates you as much as he hates me. Why? Because you're my daughter."

Fresh tears went streaming down her face. Does he really have to say it out loud? That may be true but she knew he loved her once not so long ago. He may not be feeling the same way now but she knew deep inside that he loved her too. She didn’t want to think otherwise. "The fact that the person I love doesn’t love me back doesn’t mean I have to marry someone else," she said.

"The deal is off," her father said with finality.

"I wonder if we really had a deal in the first place." Changmin told her his father never kept his word. For the year that she has been away, JYJ were never allowed to make an appearance in local televisions.

Her father didn’t seem to like her response. "You are really nothing but a disappointment. From now on you are no longer my daughter. Never show your face in front of me again. I have nothing to do with you anymore.” Those were her father’s last words to her.

Freedom. The one thing she ever wanted in her entire life finally in her grasp.

"You have no idea how happy you just made me," she said before storming out of the room and slamming the door shut. She left without turning back. She didn’t need a father who never acted like one, not even once.

The moment she shut the door behind her, her shaking knees finally gave up. Her strength left her and if it weren't for Changmin who caught her in time she would have fallen on the floor.

"You did great Seohyun," Changmin told her and she was beginning to think she really did the right thing.

-----------------

Seohyun didn't know what to do next. She have no place to go to. She have nothing.

They were in Changmin’s car and they spent the entire time in silence until she asked, "Where are we going oppa?"