Chapter Twenty-Seven: Fighting Back

The sirens blared across the entire kingdom. Innocent merpeople evacuated from the city while soldiers charged to the castle. As it got closer, The Leviathan saw the many soldiers defending the walls and growled. It began to swing its tail in a circle, stirring up sand clouds as a distraction. Suddenly, it shot a beam of electricity from its mouth straight through the cloud. It shattered the wall like paper, killing several people.

Izuru followed Andreas outside the city walls as the former tried to conjure up a shield of water to stop the monster. It failed as it slashed through the shield, sending the men flying.

"Goddamn IT!" Andreas cursed as he tried to stand up. "Now of all times does this beast shows up...and Hajime hasn't even recovered yet!"

"I hear that!" Izuru grunted. "Bullshit, I say."

"My lords, the evacuation is almost complete, but we cannot find the Queen, Hajime, or his friends." A guard reported. A loud roar grabbed their attention, causing Izuru to pick up a discarded spear.

"Keep looking! We'll hold them off as long as we can!" Izuru ordered.

"Yes, my Lord." The guard saluted before taking off.

The Leviathan tried another attempt at a sand cloud, but Izuru shot a blast of energy right at its face. It was confused as it spun around in a daze.

"GO FOR THE TAIL!" Andreas declared loudly as several remaining soldiers charged with their swords. They stabbed and chopped, taking pieces of flesh off, making the Leviathan cry in agony.
————————————————————————
"I HAVE TO HELP THEM!" Hajime screamed as he was being restrained once again by the octopuses. Chiaki couldn't afford him moving around for he was still healing...though it was risky to stay put. The loud cries of the Leviathan tortured his ears, causing him to scream.

Angelyne and Chiaki could only watch over Hajime in a corner of the room. The former had her hands on her head, wincing in pain. "Cannot...see...future..."

Chiaki clasped her hands in prayer, hoping that Nagito was doing the right thing.

Nagito and Kazuichi had decided to use the Natiluius as a means of luring the monster away. As much as Hajime wanted his love to stay, Nagito didn't have enough air in his suit and the merman was still too weak to even transform into a human.

"If I knew we we're about to fight a sea monster, I would have loaded this baby with missiles galore!" Kazuichi commented as he closed the hatch. "So...how exactly do we do this?"

"Just blind it with the headlights or something." Nagito hesitated as he began flipping switches on the main console. "You know, anything to piss it off."

"Oooookay." Kazuichi questioned his friend's tone, but resumed his job. Turning the engines on, they sunk back down and reversed themselves out of the tunnel. The scraping metal against the coral walls was like sharp nails on a chalkboard. Nagito held his breath as he could see a light at the end of the tunnel getting closer and closer. He was waiting for the right moment.

"Come on...come on..." He muttered under his breath. As soon as the Natiluius was covered in blinding light, Nagito didn't hesitate. "NOW, KAZUICHI! PUNCH IT!"

Right on cue, the pink haired boy spun the wheel all the way around, causing the ship to spin 180 degrees. Then, with a push up of a lever, the engines roared with a sudden boost of power. It flung itself out in high speeds, dodging the barren buildings as it reached the gates.

From Izuru and Andreas's point of view, it was like a shooting star bursting past them towards the Leviathan. The monster had already begun swatting away majority of the soldiers into another wall with its injured tail. It didn't see Nagito or Kazuichi coming until they were close enough. With a hit of a button, flashing lights began to emit directly into its eyes. Shaking with rage, it tried to eat them, but missed them by a inch of their lives.

"Fuck me, that was close!" Kazuichi commented as he drove the ship away from the jaws. "Do you think we pissed him off?"

Suddenly, the Leviathan roared maniacally as sparks flew, lighting up its fins and tail to an electric blue. It's eyes were now glowing red as it charged at the ship at light speed.

"Oh...yep, we did!" Nagito said as he jumped into his seat. "Go! Go! Go!"

Kazuichi did as he was told. He dodged every single attack with precision. That was until the Leviathan started shooting electric currents from its long tail. One shot struck the Natiluius, short-circuiting it.

"Oh, come ON!" Kazuichi groaned. Nagito noticed a maze of sorts nearby, and saw that the ship had enough juice to last them a while longer.

"The maze! We can trap it in there." He pointed out, leading Kazuichi to spin the wheel clockwise and drive it over. The Leviathan bumped the back end with its snout, only for the engines to start up and blow bubbles in its face. It wasn't pleased as it roared loudly again.

Nagito slammed the navigation hub with a clenched fist, trying to make it work. It fizzled on and off as Kazuichi tried to slither through the maze. The walls were so high up that it barely touched the surface of the water above. The Leviathan was close behind as Kazuichi made a sharp right turn at a crossroads. Another right turn and another 250 meters later, they found themselves at a dead end.

"Well..." Kazuichi tried to come up with the right words, but they were caught off guard as the Natiluius suddenly shut itself off. "Really? NOW you decide to quit?!"

Realizing the situation they were in, Nagito ran out to the back of the ship and pulled out the second full functioning suit. "Kazuichi! Put this on NOW!"

"Ah-why? I ain't abandoning my baby!" He protested to no avail. Soon, he was suited up as Nagito began to open the hatch, letting the icy cold water to pour in on top of him.

"Just fucking do as I say!" Nagito screamed, pushing his friend up the ladder before pulling the hatch back down. He could sense the Leviathan was behind them, staring at them...well, more on the Natiluius than Kazuichi.

Scrambling around the back, he tried to find a weapon of sorts to defend himself. Panting through ankle deep water, Nagito was suddenly thrusted towards the back of a chair, whacking his head. The Leviathan took its giant choppers and bit through the steel outer layer. It cause puncture marks on the inside as water suddenly came in.

In the corner of his eye, Nagito finally saw a harpoon gun. He quickly grabbed it just as the Leviathan pulled the back end off, causing the whole ship to be submerged. He held his breath as the water consumed him. His vision immediately went blurry and his hearing was distorted. All he could see was a giant chunk of the Natiluius, drifting away from him. It was dead silent as he could feel his hands shaking. He didn't know how much longer he could hold his breath.

Suddenly, a roar emerged before a giant black shadow with red eyes charged head fist towards Nagito. He aimed it quickly before shooting it. The harpoon landed straight into its left eye, once again causing to scream. The rope attached to the harpoon hurled Nagito out of the ship as the Leviathan jerked its head upwards.

He tumbled out into the wide open sea, completely dizzy. He almost breathed in some of the water, causing him to panic. The Leviathan charged at Nagito, harpoon in one eye and his mouth wide open. Suddenly, a flash of white light blinded Nagito and the monster, causing everything to slow down. It was like whoever it was was trying to calm it down. It's eyes softened and it's growls turned into soft purrs.

By that point, Nagito began to lose consciousness as he felt his body getting heavier. His senses had gone numb as darkness took him in in a blurry form. The last thing on his mind was Hajime.
————————————————————————
To Be Concluded...

A/N: Longest chapter ever! Lots of action and suspense! But who was it that saved Nagito? Will he reunite with Hajime?

Update (February 5th 2020):
I rewrote this chapter a bit because killing the Leviathan didn't really make any sense. Even the original owner of this idea thought killing it off wasn't a good idea. Now that it lives, I can probably have some more creativity when it comes to the ending. Thank you DragonEmpress987

Stay tuned!

Luna