Chapter Thirteen: Mutiny or Truce

Two days later, on a rainy afternoon, the Future Foundation arrived at the Tanaka's doorstep. Makoto Naegi and his associates, Kyoko Kirigiri and Byakuya Togami entered through the doors, brushing off their wet coats.
Nagito and Gundham greeted them along with Sonia. Chiaki took their coats and the group adjourned to the living room where Hajime's tank was. Before they showed up, Hajime went into chameleon mode after a mishap that morning.
————————————————————————
Earlier...
Chiaki was getting ready for work as the sun came up. Peering down the tank, she could see Hajime slowly waking up from his slumber. He looked up and joined her, popping his head out of the water.

"Is it morning already?" He groaned as he rubbed his eyes. "You sure know how to get dressed fast, Your Majesty."

"Ahem. That's Chiaki while I am here." She teased, before laughing. "I don't mind though. Humans have such an amazing palate when it comes to food. Sonia is going to teach me about making something called 'pancakes.'"

"I bet it will be amazing." Hajime agreed. "Oh, I better help you with your ears."

She nodded as they touched foreheads and began their ceremony. Moments later, Chiaki walked down the stairs into the living room and met up with Hajime who swam down. As they placed their foreheads together on the glass, the door opened.

Hajime noticed the visitor was a shocked Nagito, carrying a paper bag. He had just come home from a trip into town with Gundham, and it just occurred that he hadn't met Chiaki yet.

Nagito placed his bag down and grabbed Chiaki on the shoulders before throwing her off the glass. "Who are you and what are you doing here?" He had a scary look like he was going to butcher her, which caught Chiaki off guard.

"Uh...I-my name is Chiaki Nanami. I'm the new maid of the house." She stuttered, staring into his cold eyes. "M-m-master Tanaka hired me a few days ago, and I-I was just saying hi to your friend."

He hadn't moved an inch as his grip gotten tighter, making her wince in pain. Hajime got scared of Nagito's new emotion that he turned invisible.

"Oh, Nagito." Sonia called out, pulling him off. "She has been an amazing employee for several years, so I seriously doubt she would hurt Hajime." She looked over to the maid. "Go on ahead, Chiaki. I'll meet you in the kitchen."

She nodded quickly before running off. Nagito followed her with his eyes before addressing Sonia with her own glare.

"Look, I understand that you are protective over him, but she had always loved this place in particular. Maybe Hajime can make some new friends." She said before smiling. "I am sure that she will warm up to you soon."

He sighed, scratching his head. "I guess, but you cannot blame me for keeping my guard up."

"I suppose." Sonia shrugged. "Anywho, you spend your time with your little friend. We have guests coming this afternoon so I need to help prepare for their arrival."

She left the room calmly and closed the door. Hajime looked on with Nagito's back towards him.
————————————————————————
Back to present day...

"Nagito Komaeda." Byakuya greeted with a firm handshake. "Glad to see you are still alive. Although...Miss Tsumiki is..."

"Byakuya!" Kyoko snapped. "We cannot be certain of her fate. Right now we must focus on what we do have."

They sat down on the couches and began their debriefing, including Junko's mission with the merpeople. Hajime watched their expressions closely. He noticed how the one named 'Byakuya' didn't inch, while the others showed great concern.

"Nagito. You do expect us to believe such a ridiculous story like this." Byakuya pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "This is nothing but a waste of time. We are no closer to finding Enoshima."

Makoto, however, looked at Nagito with a look of trust. "I disagree. If there is any chance, we must take it."

"May I remind you about our rules? We don't rely on superstitions. If such a thing exists, we must eradicate it at all costs." Byakuya said with no expression on his face or in his tone.

Hajime backed away from the glass in fear. The bad memories came flooding back as he wrapped his arms around his body.

"Enough of that!" Kyoko demanded. "Byakuya. Given our circumstances, we have no choice. I agree with Makoto. I believe that if this merman can help us defeat Junko, we must try." She looked at Nagito with a compassionate look. "I promise you that we will do everything we can to protect your friend."

Nagito turned to the glass and showed his hand to symbolize they were safe. Hajime saw it as a sign and touched the glass. He saw Nagito placed his hand on top on his and blushed. He didn't realize he had returned to normal until he heard gasping. Byakuya's face looked in shock while Kyoko and Makoto smiled.

"Amazing. It is real!" Kyoko said in awe. "Such a magnificent creature."

Makoto joined Nagito at the glass and got a closer look at Hajime. He felt a sense of hope that he had a long time ago.

"Hello. My name is Makoto." He introduced himself and Hajime waved back with a warm smile. "Don't worry. I promise you that we will protect you from Junko and we will get you home safely."

Hajime gave a excited smile as he swam in joy. Nagito giggled at his child-like mood. "He is grateful for your promise as am I, Naegi. Thank you. I don't know how to repay you."

"Let's just stop Junko once and for all." He replied with a handshake. Soon, the Future Foundation began their plans to scout out Junko's next location from their other spies.

Nagito began to feel a lot of weight fall off his shoulders as they left the room for lunch. 'Perhaps...things will get better now...'
————————————————————————
To Be Continued...