Chapter Twenty-Five: Flatlining

At the crack of dawn, the Natiluius took off on its maiden voyage: to the depths of the Caribbean. The ocean was dark as night, but

"Do you even know where this kingdom is?" Kazuichi asked. "I mean, I am not doubting you..."

"Just look for mermaids swimming around or a giant metropolis." Nagito replied with a snap in his tone. Sighing, he rubbed his eyes. "I am sorry. Couldn't sleep last night."

"Nah, man. It's fine. I am used to dealing with Miu on a day-to-day basis. At least we have booze to keep us company."

"Well, I still need you on your toes." Nagito warned. Kazuichi gave him a thumbs up before returning to driving the vessel.

Checking his pockets, Nagito felt something unusual. He pulled out what looked like a necklace. It was silver chain with a black pearl and two smaller pink pearls between it. He didn't remember obtaining such an item before. Attached was a note:

/'Use this at the gate. It will be the only way in.'/

Nagito became confused at the cryptic message, but kept it at the back of his mind.
——————————————————
"Good morning, Your Majesty." Andreas greeted with a bow as Chiaki and Izuru came into the throne room. "I take it that your little late night 'honeymoon' was a success?"

"Yes, it went well. We are still a little bit tired, but we should fine for today." Chiaki replied. "Getting to sleep in for a few hours can do some good. Oh, and I cannot thank you and Angelyne enough for covering."

"Of course. Speaking of which, our men have completed fortification on the south wall." Andreas reported, before a healer knocked.

"I beg your pardon!" She screamed before rushing in. "Your Majesty, it's Hajime. We need you down in the depths immediately."

Chiaki and Izuru looked at each other with worry as they followed the healer. As they got closer, they began to hear screams of agony. At Hajime's cavern, several healers were trying to feed him, but he was struggling. The octopuses were also having a hard time, tears falling down their cheeks.

"ENOUGH!" Chiaki commanded. It was like time had stopped. Everyone looked at their Queen and bowed down. "Leave us."

"Chiaki..." Izuru said with concern.

"It will be okay..." She replied softly as the healers and the octopuses left the cavern.

Hajime was in a terrible state. His skin was peeling and his scales were falling off. There were dark rings under his eyes and he was so skinny that his ribs were shown. He was shivering as he pushed himself into a corner. He wrapped his arms around himself, never acknowledging his friends as they got closer.

"He...isn't coming back..." Hajime said with a raspy voice. "He...won't find me. Nagito...Na..gito."

Chiaki gently touched his shoulder, making him hiss in pain. "Hajime..."

"Hope...is a lie...not even false hope can make me whole." He said, growling. "Was this whole thing...hopeless?"

"DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT!" Izuru screamed as he pushed his brother onto a wall. "LOOK AT ME!" He did so...though his eyes were lifeless. "Please...remember what true happiness was. Look in your heart."

"My...heart..." Hajime muttered, placing his hand on his chest. Feeling the slow beats, he could feel the spark reignite as he remembered his memories. The day they met, their first kiss, the way he held him in his arms after they mated, every smile and laugh. Everything that made him feel alive. "Yes..." He began to cry as he smiled. "He is here...right here."

"That's right, Hajime." Izuru reassured him. "Don't you ever forget that. He will always be there."

Chiaki smiled at the brotherly bond. Since she was an only child, she only had them. Hajime began to smile weakly as Izuru asked for some food. It was a start to turn things around, but without the real Nagito, feelings can only hold on for so long.

"Your Highness?" A guard called out. "I am sorry for interrupting, but we have a visitor at the back gates. It appears to be some sort of 'mechanical' machine."

"Machine?" Chiaki asked.
————————————————————————
"Nagito! Take a look at that!" Kazuichi yelled, waking the white haired boy from a dreamless sleep. When his eyes opened, they widened at the massive sight. He had seen cities before, but this trumped them all. Towers lined with seaweed, lights shimmering in every direction, fishes swimming in groups like a flock of birds, and technology that surpassed theirs.

"Holy SHIT!" Kazuichi screamed as he pointed out. "MERMAIDS! REAL MERMAIDS!"

Sure enough, a group of mermaids were swimming towards them. Kazuichi stopped the machine and gazed at their beauty. Nagito smirked at his adolescent behaviour, reminding himself of when he met Hajime. The mermaids waved and blew kisses at the men.

"Do you think they can help us?" Kazuichi asked, scrabbling to find a notepad. "Do you think they speak English? It's the only language I know!"

Nagito looked out the window and saw a mermaid that looked eerily calm than the others. When they left, she stayed and motioned them to follow her.

"Dude, forget the notebook." He said, punching Kazuichi in the stomach. "Looks like we have a guide."

Grunting, Kazuichi got back into his driver's seat and started up the engines. Soon, they were in the heart of the city which was much more beautiful. The buildings were built with coral and crystals, shining brightly in the daylight. More merpeople watched them go by in awe, mainly children. Nagito saw a young boy that reminded him of Hajime's green eyes and big smile.

"They seemed so calm." Kazuichi noted, trying not to be distracted.

"For now..." Nagito added as they came up to the castle walls. The mermaid led them to a cave which held an air bubble before taking off. They entered in and followed the dark path until they saw a light. Rising up, they resurfaced to meet up with two guards.

Opening the hatch, Nagito was the first one to get out. "Stay there, Kazuichi."

"HALT! Who are you?" One guard said as he pointed his dagger at Nagito's throat. "What business do you have here?"

"I...I..." Nagito stuttered. How can he explain that he was from the surface and the mate of one of their own? Was that even a thing?

"Answer now, or face punishment!" The other guard yelled, making Nagito flinch. Suddenly, he remembered the necklace he found in his pocket.

They gasped as they looked at each other. "I'll go tell Her Majesty at once." The first guard said before he took off into another tunnel. At the end of that tunnel, he dived into another hole underwater.

'This is either really good or really bad.' Nagito thought as he stared down the other guard.
————————————————————————
To Be Continued...

A/N: We are SO close! Hajime and Nagito will be reunited next chapter, but will it be enough to stop the Leviathan? Also, what lies in their future? Would Hajime be granted to be a human? Or is there another way? Stay Tuned!

On another note, I'll be working on the prologue for Beta Aftermath, so I will post an update on Beta Memories when that chapter is up!

Thank you all

LunaKirbee