Chapter Fourteen: Fool's Gold

With things settling down, Chiaki began to worry more about Hajime. While she did believe that he was happy that he had found someone, they were concerns of his health. She had never seen him so beat up before, and it made her question Nagito's true intentions.

A few days after the Future Foundation's visit, Chiaki finally decided to ask Hajime when her shift ended. She entered the living room where Hajime was enjoying his dinner in the tank. She sat down on the couch and waited. The last thing she wanted was to upset him, so she had to plan her words out carefully.

A few minutes later, she heard tapping from the tank. She looked and Hajime started to point upwards. It was time, and she was nervous beyond all belief. She took her time as she climbed the stairs, trying to calm her shaky breathing.

As she opened the door, Hajime had his head resting on his arms with a look of boredom on his face. "Wow, Chiaki. You walk really slow."

She said nothing as she sat down next to him. It was hard to even look at him without feeling guilty. He, however, gave her a look of concern as he cupped her hands into his.

"What's wrong? I am sorry if I offended you. I was joking." He tried to say, but she stopped him.

"No. It's not you. I am just..." Chiaki sighed, knowing it is now or never. "Have you thought more about returning home? I know that you told me that you were worried about your mate."

"I am sure you know who he is, right?"
Hajime asked. "Nagito. He's a human..."

Chiaki nodded slowly. She knew the moment she saw him: the overprotective behaviour and the way he sees Hajime made sense. If she took him away, he would suffer greatly and possibly kill himself. It was the way they were: bound forever to their mates or perish alone.

"If I could find a way to bring him with me, I would." Hajime continued. "I am sorry, but I need to stay here...with him."

She hugged Hajime one more time. "I know...I am happy that you found someone. Never forget that, okay?" She smiled as she headed downstairs. Nagito was entering the living room when he saw her. Hajime was watching her from behind with a look of sadness.

"What did you say to him? Why does he look at you like that?" Nagito asked when she was close enough.

She didn't look at him as she tried to bite her tongue. Immediately her mind wanted to say that they were friends, but she remembered her promise. As much as it ached her to lie, a promise was more important to keep.

"I was just...finishing up." Chiaki said. "Goodnight, Mr. Komaeda."

Nagito didn't believe it, but he couldn't question it as she took off. A tapping of the glass broke his train of thought. Hajime waved at him to meet him topside. When they did, Nagito was met with an exhilarating kiss from Hajime.

"I missed you! You and Gundham just took off after those people left." Hajime said happily.

"I am sorry. We had to go into town." Nagito replied while scratching behind Hajime's ears. "It took longer than intended because Gundham had an argument with some guy about how whales don't eat humans."

Hajime laughed as he began to snuggle on Nagito's chest.

"Let me guess...you wanna cuddle tonight, do you?" Nagito asked as he began to set up a low hammock near the edge of the tank. Hajime raised his arms up the moment his mate got in. Nagito lifted him up and Hajime immediately wrapped his arms around his neck.

"Wow! You are so adorable." Nagito cooed as he could hear purring. He pressed his forehead onto his as Hajime gave him small kisses on his face. The two of them fell asleep, holding each other peacefully.
————————————————————————
The next morning, as the sun began to rise, a dark aura came upon the town. Townspeople began to lock their doors and close the shutters on their windows. A herd of footsteps echoed through the ghost town along with the caws of ravens. She was here.

Junko had Mikan around her arm, smiling while whistling a tune. The nurse had a black eye and blood all over her uniform. With Nagito and Hajime gone, she was next in line to be the 'plaything'. Mukuro was behind her, keeping a blade on Mikan's back.

"Boss? Are you sure you don't wanna-" A crew member tried to ask, but only to receive a punch in the stomach from Kokichi.

"Why would I waste my time here when I really want is at reach?" Junko replied. "Besides, they will suffer despair soon enough...when I torch that mansion down." She looked down at the distraught Mikan and patted her head. "At least I know you are loyal to me, my little mouse. Who knows? Maybe when I am done, I'll make you Mukuro's plaything."

Mukuro growled at her sister's remark. "Mind your own damn business!"

"Oh, please! You two are so cute together!" Junko rebuffed. "Besides, I have my sights on my merman and Nagito. Whether it kills them or not, they will be mine."
————————————————————————
To Be Continued...

A/N: This is a little short so I can start the next one off with the attack on the mansion. Just a warning though, it will very bloody and violent.

Second off, I may be shipping Mikan and Mukuro now thanks to me writing this story.

Anywho, I'll see you all in the next chapter.

LunaKirbee