Chapter Five: Becoming Friends

That night, (L/N) comes home with me. We thankfully managed to sneak past my father, but Fuyumi notices us.

"Shoto-kun?" She whispers, approaching, "What are you doing? With a girl, no less!"

"Calm down, sis," I reply, suppressing the blush on my cheeks, "We're just hanging out, nothing else."

She sighs, nodding, "Just- please be careful."

I thank her and the two girls introduce themselves before we head upstairs. We lay down on my bed and talk for hours, staring up at my ceiling.

"(L/N)-chan," I call out.

She glances over at me, "Yeah?"

"When we were fighting the Hero Killer, you seemed like you were fueled by anger," I begin, "Do you need to talk about it?"

"Uh- n-no. I was just furious because of Iida-kun, that's all."

I give her a 'look,' "Come on, you can trust me."

She shakes her head.

"Okay. Well, does it have anything to do with your parents?"

She pauses for a moment before nodding, so I take a deep breath.

"Okay. Whatever happened, I'm sorry. I hope that I could help somehow but please know that it'll get better."

She smiles, "I'll open up about something that only Midoryia-kun knows. I..I was abused by my father. You've heard of quirk marriages, right? My father basically 'bought' my mother and got married to her purely to make a child who could surpass All Might. I was one of their children that got the perfect half of both of their quirks. He worked me to the bone. Mom would try to protect me, but eventually, she was traumatized by his abuse of me and herself and tried to leave. I scared her because I reminded her of my father. She threw boiling water on my face and tried to cool it off, but ice and burn scars don't mix. So I earned an ice burn over my eye. My father sent her to a mental hospital. I used to blame her but now I've forgiven her. I still am partly mad at my father and used to refuse to use my fireside because it reminded me of him too much. After the Sports Festival, I've been able to use it because of something that Midoryia-kun said. It's..my power, not his."

(L/N) smiles and reaches over, patting my shoulders, "Thank you for telling me. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Are you and your mother close again?"

I nod, "She's the only reason I was able to go to my father's for the internships."

There's a brief moment of silence before I decide to speak up.

"How about a movie night?"

"Sure!"

For the next few weeks, leading up to the physical part of our 'final' exams before summer, (L/N) and I got closer. I learned lots about her, such as her favorite food, place, and songs. At some point, I think I started to fall in love with her. I'd attempt to make her laugh or impress her without even realizing it. 

We even started to train for the exams together in a small room at my house. Speaking of, that's what we're doing today.

"Hurry up, Todo-kun!" She calls, rushing ahead of me as we walk home from UA. She holds her fists up, "Get ready to have your ass beat!"

I laugh, "Says the girl who cowered in a corner and refused to fight me earlier."

She pouts, "I didn't want to die! Your father got you angry and your fire was hotter than ever!"

I roll my eyes, "Yeah, sure."

She punches my shoulder with a big smile, "Today is different, I'll use my power-up and beat you!"

"Are you sure? You've been getting more and more exhausted since we amped up the training for your special."

She nods, "I'm ready."

We soon stand across from each other, fists up and UA training uniforms on. The time for five minutes on my phone dings as it begins counting down and (L/N) rushes forward. 

Her body immediately covers itself in (F/C) electricity and some veins in her body bulge slightly. I can tell that this is still slightly painful for her, but she's able to stand straighter ever since we started sparring each other. Trying not to get too distracted, I create a border of ice and back up. I expect her to crash through the barrier, and she does. 

So I force her away with my fire. 

She jumps to the other side of me with amazing speed. I attempt to force her away again, but she creates a shield of energy to block the heat from getting to her entire body. She walks through the flames with a proud smile and charges forward, grabbing my shoulder and kicking me in the gut. I fall to the side as the oxygen rushes out of my lungs.

"Not tapping out yet?" She asks.

I clench my teeth and compel myself to get up and fight back. It doesn't take long before (L/N) bends down to my level as I struggle to get up.

She pats my head and grins, "I think we're done for the day."

I smile, "You sure about that?"

I allow my left and right sides to cover themselves in fire and ice. She backs away and trips over a loose floorboard. I can tell that she's too distracted to block an attack or cover herself in more electricity. So I take advantage of the situation. I rush forward and freeze her in a block of ice. She struggles and attempts to use her quirk, but is unable to.

"Why aren't you using your quirk?"

She cringes, "The kinetic energy I emit has to come from my lower body, otherwise I can't do anything."

So she has a weakness. But that's such a big one. How did I not know earlier? Was she just able to dodge all those other attacks?

I approach her, touching her shoulder and melting the ice with my left hand.

"What are you doing?" She asks, falling to the ground in exhaustion as the ice completely melts.

"You're good for today, (L/N)-chan," I tell her, "I'm pretty sure we're ready for the exams."