Chapter Twenty-Three: A Dilemma

The next morning, everything started out as normal. We all woke up, got dressed, and ate breakfast, then headed straight into UA high. Everything was going smoothly, normally.

But that night.

Something was off.

"Does anyone else just get that weird feeling sometimes?" Ashido suddenly asks, as we all sit together in the common area, "Like you know that something's about to happen?"

Some agree, even stating that they have that feeling at the moment. It's concerning, but I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle. We're the class that's survived many villain attacks, after all.

But I can't help but worry.

Despite this, we all head to bed as our curfew approaches. As I fall asleep, I hope that the feeling we all had will pass.

The next morning became my worst nightmare.

"(L/N)-chan is missing."

Play Exit Music by Radiohead (At the top)

The panicked faces of my classmates glance at me out of word association, quickly regretting it. My eyes widen and tears rush down my cheeks as the sentence weighs on me.

"(Y/N)-chan's..gone?"

Our homeroom teacher sighs, getting down on one knee and grabbing my shoulder.

"She was kidnapped by the League of Villains."

Just the name of the group angers me.

"We have to get her back!" Midoryia says, "We can't just let them take her."

"We have our hero licenses now, we have to help!" Yayorozu joins in.

But the class glances to me.

I didn't get my hero license.

"It's fine. She'll be okay." Kaminari mutters, "She has to be. She's (L/N) (Y/N)! The strongest person out of our entire class."

Although I agree with him, anyone could easily be taken down by that many villains.

She can handle them, can't she?

------------------------------

After hours of waiting for some sort of news, I get a message. Instead of my dad, it's from (Y/N). I immediately open it to look.

A video file sits in the messages.

"Guys.."

Eventually, the entirety of class 1-A gathers around as I click the video (Y/N) sent me.

It shows the love of my life tied to a chair unconscious. A large device is wrapped around her neck. A dried voice talks from behind the camera.

"Hey there, Todoroki Shoto.." It says, "Your love is safe..for now. The device around her neck cancels out her quirk to prevent escape. We're going to keep her here..for a few tests. This isn't a live video so don't try to say hi to her, she won't respond."

Tears rush down from my eyes as I watch the patch-work villain pass by the camera and kick the chair (Y/N) is tied to.

She immediately wakes up, breathing heavily and her eyes are both black.

"Oh and I lied, she's not exactly fine."

(Y/N) scoffs, "Who the hell are you talking to, creep?"

The villain points to the camera, "Your boyfriend."

She glances over, notices the name and her eyes sadden visibly in the camera.

"Don't try coming for me okay, Shoto-kun?" She whispers, "I know you. Please don't."

"Cut the crap!" A new raspy voice says, standing on the other side of (Y/N), "We all know that you will never see each other the same again after this. Dabi, cut the camera for today."

The video stops.

Our class is silent as I turn off my phone and rest my head on my hands with wide eyes.

"I-" Midoryia sighs, "Shigaraki said 'for today' they might send daily updates until they get what they want. Or maybe..until they can come up with what they want? I'm sure they can find her before anything happens."

I breathe as calmly as possible as mutters erupt from my classmates about what could happen next. I finally decide on one thing.

"I'm going after her myself."

Everyone pauses, "What?"

"You can't!" Yayorozu yells, "You don't have your license and the pros will get angry like at Kamino."

"That's why he's not going alone." Midoryia buts in.

I glance up to see Midoryia, Bakugo, and the rest of the crew (excluding Yaoyorozu) from when we saved Bakugo standing up to face me.

"She has always been there for us, no matter what."

I smile and as I'm about to reply, I hear Iida.

"Although I do not agree with some of the things that happened last time you guys went to save someone, I regret not going with you. If we can try our best to avoid fighting with the villains," He sighs, "I'll stand beside you, Todoroki-kun."

"Us too."

I turn to see the rest of class 1-A.

"She's an amazing hero, we can't just abandon her like that," Sero says, "She would never do that to us, so why should we do it to her?"

I glance down at the video clip again, watching (Y/N)'s face when she realizes that we were going to see the video.

"Don't try coming for me okay, Shoto-kun?" She whispers again, "I know you. Please don't."

I sigh, shutting my eyes tightly and biting my lip. Despite what my heart says, I agree with my classmates.

"We'll head out soon then. Do you think they just brought her to the same area as they did Bakugo?"

"I doubt it," Midoryia replies, "That building is too known now. It'll be hard to track her down."

My phone rings with an unknown number. Hesitantly, I answer it.

It's the raspy voice from the video, the patch-work villain, "If you try to find her tomorrow, she'll be killed. Give us a week then you can decide to come find her. If not, we'll kill her the second you try."

Before I can even respond, the villain hangs up.

The entire class has heard that conversation and we stand there in silence for a few moments.

"We gotta go now," Bakugo growls, "If we wait, they'll do the test that hand-job villain was talking about and we'll never see her again."

I grab his arm, "We can't risk it," I clench my heart, "If we do, they'll kill her immediately. We have to follow their terms. I"m sure whatever they do, we can fix it. We can still save her...just not yet."

He sighs, agreeing to my terms.

We show the faculty of UA the video and they have a meeting as a group, keeping us behind a closed door about what they're going to do.

It makes me nervous.