Chapter Sixteen: A Change of Heart

Play Eight by Sleeping at Last

I feel the urge to stand up and argue with her, tell her that the world is wrong, not her. But I know that I'll be the only voice. The entire court is silent until (Y/N)'s parents speak up.

"Then this session is over, right?" Her mother questions, "She's guilty and has admitted it!"

The judge silences her, "She only pleads that. She may be discovered as innocent."

Her father grunts, grabbing his wife's hand, standing up and attempting to leave the court. It doesn't take long for the judge to point out a key point in this case.

"You two are only trying to avoid getting in trouble, right? Because isn't it true that you gave your daughter up to the villains?"

Both of the adults stop in their tracks.

"What are you talking about?" The woman asks innocently.

I can't stand it anymore.

"You kicked (Y/N)-chan out of the house and paid a villain to wipe her memory and replace it with a fake memory of yourselves getting sick. She trained with the villains in an attempt to raise money for you. How do you think she feels, knowing that she worked day and night for two people who tossed her aside?"

"That's not true!" Her mother argues.

"Explain her anger towards you today. What's her favorite food, color, and hero, then? If you are a good parent and kept her close all these years, answer that." I hiss.

Both of (Y/N)'s parents are dumbfounded.

"I-I don't know."

I cross my arms, "Her favorite food is (F/F), favorite color is (F/C) and her favorite hero is _____."

"And what does that prove, Mr. Todoroki?" The judge asks.

"If those two were good parents, then they'd know the key informatin about their own daughter. It proves that they didn't pay much, if any, attention to her, at least. How about another question? Where did (Y/N) go to middle school?"

Her parents reluctantly sit back down.

"Fine," Her father says, "We did."

The judge nods, "Documented audio of you asking All for One to take her in and wipe her memory also aids this statement."

(Y/N) softly smiles, fidgeting with her hands as the judge continues.

"As such, you two are really the ones on trial. You've illegally abandoned your daughter, gave her to the villains thus child endangerment. (Y/N) and no other choice than to work for them because she was given no formal education since you two decided to abandon her. If she had an education, she would've gotten any job she wanted. She was being heroic in her attempt to help. I've come to my judgment."

The room becomes tense.

"Mr and Mrs. (L/N), you are hereby sentenced to 20 years in prison. (L/N), although you are not in any trouble, we're going to ask the teachers at UA to keep a close eye on you..you're free to go. Court dismissed!"

Slowly, everyone begins leaving. (Y/N)'s parents are dragged off to jail while (Y/N) stands calmly, waiting. I approach and her eyes immediately light up. She jumps at me, tightly squeezing my sides in a hug.

"Thank you, s-so much," She mutters, "I don't want to imagine what might've happened if you weren't here."

I smile, nuzzling my head on top of hers, "I'll always be here."

She pulls away, rubbing her tears and looking up at me. I pat her head, glancing over at the IV rack I noticed earlier.

"Is it better?" I ask, "Do you think you'll be able to go back to UA soon?"

She nods, "Today's the final day I need the machine. Well, that's what the doctors say, at least. It's just giving me fluids and monitoring my body's healing rate and heartbeat. The wounds that opened up have seemed to heal and no older ones have opened. I think I slept enough to restore most of my energy."

A brief moment of silence before I get an idea.

"Hey."

She looks up, "Yeah?"

"How about a date?"

Her face turns bright red but she nods, "Sure."

"Come to UA after the doctors give you the okay," I tell her, "I'll see you then."

As if it's a common occurrence, I kiss her cheek and run off. I can feel my heart jumping for joy as her eyes burn into the back of my head.

Play Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar - It fits the mood. I know that this song was based around war, so isn't it kind of fitting for the situation? Or rather, the situation to come?

As soon as I arrive, class 1-A bombards me with questions.

"Enough!" Iida yells over the commotion, "He may not want to answer right now. Give him time." He looks over at me, then avoids eye contact and sighs, "I'm sorry."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Maybe you could've saved (L/N)-chan too..if I didn't try to stop you."

I walk up to him, "Iida-kun, you did the right thing. You were only trying to protect us. None of this is your fault." I smile, feeling a weight I didn't know I had disappear from my chest, "Plus, we won. (Y/N)-chan's parents are in jail and she herself is free! She'll be able to come back soon."

The class cheers and the rest of the night is spent discussing fun things we could do to welcome her back.

"What about a surprise party?" Kaminari suggests, "Since tomorrow is Saturday, you could take her out on a date while we set up. We can have food, drinks, games, and definitely decorations."

I nod, "Sure, I'm up for it. I already asked her out on a date, anyhow."

Mineta mutters under his breath, "It's always the tall ones that get the women."

'No, Mineta, you're just an ass.'

"Party it is!" Ashido announces, "Jiro-chan and I can set u a dance floor while Uraraka and Tsu-chan handle decorations. Yayorozu and Sato can cook. Everyone else...you can just choose to help whichever group you want!"

So, until two hours after curfew, we place the party. Aizawa ends up walking in on us.

He rubs his eyes, "What are you all doing up? It's two hours past curfew," Then he notices the decorations and setup, "Are you..planning a party?"

Kirishima speaks up, "Yeah! We're throwing a surprise party for (L/N)-chan when she comes back tomorrow."

Our teacher smiles, "Need any help?"

Once everything is ready, we all head to bed and rest up for the next day. I have dreams about the days to come, but I feel scared when I wake up the next morning. I had a nightmare.

And (Y/N) was the center of it.