Chapter Fifteen: Court is in Session

Play Medicine by Daughter

As soon as we arrive, two men approach and guide us to a private room with two police officers and the judge.

"Greetings," The judge says, standing up to shake my hand, "Please, have a seat. I'll only ask you to sign a paper and say an oath before we begin," He pauses and holds up his right hand, "Repeat after me."

Eventually, after signing the papers and repeating what the judge wants me to say, my sentence is, "I, Todoroki Shoto, promise to always tell the truth and nothing but the truth. I shall not use my quirk to dispose of witnesses, evidence, or otherwise manipulate this case or people involved."

"Alright," The man continues, "First question. Did (L/N) tell you or give you signs that she was a traitor before the training camp?"

I shake my head, "No. She told me just before the fight began. I was in shock, so I didn't process it fast enough before she ran off. She didn't seem to like the Hero Killer and her parents were out of the question. A few of my classmates were concerned or curious but I don't think they suspected anything. It was only off-putting because they came to UA just after the USJ attack."

The judge writes down something and then looks back up at me.

"Did you know (L/N) before UA?"

"No."

There's a moment of silence before the judge speaks again.

"What do you think should happen to (L/N)?"

It's almost as if my world's frozen in time. Flashes of the past few months with (Y/N) wiz past me like a rushing river. Her smile, laugh and touch overwhelm my senses. I'm blinded by her as the judge and the other men seem to blink in slow motion. I'm drowned further into the 'world' of (Y/N) as she begins to call my name. Her voice gets louder and louder until her voice distorts into the voice of the judge's.

"Todoroki?" He calls.

I blink, snapping back into reality, "S-Sorry."

"Take your time."

I breathe deeply, "She's not bad. She didn't break any laws other than using her quirk without a license. Even so, the public loves her. She could be another symbol."

The judge smiles, nodding for me to continue.

"She was still being a hero in a way, as well. She was brainwashed into thinking that her parents were sick and unable to be helped. So she worked to get them the money but then she was hired by the League of Villains to get intel on All Might and Endeavor. She was lied to by them as well so she showed her true colors during the Training Camp and helped us save Bakugo."

The judge nods, standing up to shake my hand again, "Thank you for your time, Mr. Todoroki. I'll be seeing you again soon. The official trial will be in an hour."

I nod, shaking his hand and leaving the room. Aizawa greets me with his casual stoic look. We walk beside each other in silence until he turns with a look of concern.

"How did it go?"

I sigh, "I don't know. The judge seemed indifferent about my opinions. The official trail to decide what happens to her is in an hour."

"Do you want to be here for the trial?" Aizawa asks, "I can have someone come pick you up if you're not comfortable."

I shake my head, "Thank you, but I need to be here."

My teacher nods, closing his eyes and smiling. He waits with me until the trial is about to begin.

"I'll be going back to UA for this, as I've already told the judge everything I know. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me or another teacher." Aizawa says, he pats my back, "It'll be fine."

So I sit on (Y/N)'s side of the room, between many people that I don't recognize but two look familiar. A man and a woman. They both have the same hair color as (Y/N) and the woman seems to have her face. Are these...the parents that threw her out and got her into this mess in the first place? Not too long after the jury and judge enters, the doors open wide. Two guards guide (Y/N) to her seat. As she walks past, I notice a small cart with an IV bag, as well as a doctor near the front.

'How bad has she gotten in the past few days?'

She smiles sadly when she notices me in the crowd and glares when she notices the man and woman from earlier. Her face flushes a deathly pale and she practically lunges cut at them. I don't blame her.

"You asses!" She yells, "You left me! What are you even doing here?"

Her mother looks up with a stoic expression, "Even if we don't want you, we're required to attend these kinds of court sessions."

(Y/N)'s face freezes and then contorts as she's pushed towards her seat by the guards. She screams out in protest. Everything seems to slow down as her eyes lock with mine. Her (E/C) eyes are bright red and her cheeks are pink. I can see the pain in her eyes and soul as the guards finally manage to get her to sit down.

"Let's begin," The judge says, "(L/N) (Y/N), you are here because you've lied, joined the villains, and targetted a hero for your own gain."

He pauses, the look in his eyes tells me that she's being targetted.

"How do you plead?"

"Guilty."

I freeze. Time seems to stop as "guilty" plays on repeat in my head. My heart pangs in my chest, as my eyes begin to water. Even the judge seems surprised by her statement.