Chapter 21

As I walk in the house, the first thing I notice is how much the place has changed. The house is filled with unfamiliar pieces of furniture, and photos of people I don’t recognise. Finn leads us to a couch that I have never seen before, and I sit down awkwardly. Penelope waits for Finn to sit down, then parks herself on his lap. He is hesitant, but doesn’t push her off his lap.

I open my mouth to speak, but no words formulate.

He beats me to it, “You have a daughter?”

Once again, I open my mouth to answer but stop hesitantly. I look at Penelope who is watching Finn with curious eyes. He seems to pick up on what I’m trying to tell him.

He turns to Penelope and then points in the other direction, “Hey sweetie, do you want to go play with the toys over there?”

We both turn around to see what he is pointing out. Her little face lights up at the sight of all sorts of toys and she practically jumps off his lap into the mini play center.

I look at Finn confused, why the hell does he have toys in my fathers house? I take a look around again and remember some of the photos I passed in the hallway. The face of a little boy with a blonde women pops into my mind, and suddenly realisation hits me.

“You have a kid?” I blurt out.

He nods as he answers, “Yes, but it’s not what you think.”

“Why are you in my fathers house? Is the next question I bombard him with.

He lifts up an eyebrow and replies, “I could ask you the same thing”.

I shake my head and look back at my daughter.

“I came to visit my father” I tell him matter of factly.

He nods his head and finally replies to me, “I live here.  The place, the car... it’s all mine. When was the last time you saw your father Ana?”

My heart stops a beat as he says my name. Just the way he says it out loud brings back so many memories.

“Not since I left” I whisper quietly.

He nods, “And you don’t speak to your father at all?”

I look into his beautiful eyes, “No. You knew that I wouldn’t Finn. I didn’t talk to anyone. Not you, not my father. I had to keep myself safe!”

“And Penelope too?” He questions.

I look at her while I speak, “Well, yeah, I guess so. She wasn’t an issue at the time I left but when I got her it really made me realise the importance of keeping away from my mother. You knew that I had to stay away Finn. You knew all of this!”

I look back at him and see indecision. He looks confused as hell and I don’t blame him because I feel the exact same way.

I look down and away from his gaze as I ask my next question, unable to truly face what he is about to tell me.

“You have a kid?” I say silently, hurt obviously coming through my voice.

“Well so do you... I mean, I thought you and Finn never had sex!” He says judgingly. I look up at him confused as hell. Why did he just speak of himself in third person?

I’m about to point his grammatical errors out but I’m really getting too pissed off having to defend myself.

“We didn’t! She’s not yours...” I reply back.

He throws his hands in the air, “Then why did she call me her father?”

I take a deep breath, “Because I thought you would wait for me! I thought you’d want to be with me after all this. I thought I meant something to you. I wanted Penelope to have a good, stable father figure and so I told her that you were her father”.

He shakes his head and runs his hand through his hair. I feel a tear running down my face, and when he doesn’t reply, I decide that it is my time to leave. I stand up quickly and walk over to Penelope. As soon as I pick her up in my arms he decides to speak up.

“Don’t” Is all he says.

“Don’t what?” I ask him.

“Go.” He replies.

I bite my lip and ask, “Why not?”

He finally looks me in the eyes as he speaks his next words, “Because I’m not Finn.”

Authors note: Woaahhh double update... Not going to lie, I surprised myself doing this. Anyway, I am now on holidays so hopefully I will have time to update more. Btw, I still read all your comments as they come through and they seriously are the sweetest thing ever. It's literally the only thing that motivates me to update.

I don't really have anything important to stay, so I'll leave it at this. Stay awesome guys :) xx