Chapter 2

We make it back to my office door where a young man stands. This must be Dr. Smith. He looks up as we approach and smiles. He thanks the guard, who is named Aron Cash, for finding me.

His smile is very bright and his green eyes sparkle. This is something I didn't expect to find in a place like this. His skin is a caramel and his light brown hair stick out to me. He looks more like a lifeguard than a psychologist.

He is a good head taller than my small 5"4' frame. To be honest, he terrifies me a little. My boyfriend has almost the same height and build. Cash nods and leaves us standing there in front of my door.

"You must be Dr. Harleen Quinzel. Your college test results are very impressive, and you even applied to work with the higher risk patients. That isn't an easy feat for a young woman." Did he just insult me and compliment me at the same time? What does he mean for a young woman? I take the files from him.

"These are your patient files. You have 2 small time criminals and 2 high risk. If you progress with the high risk and cure one of the others, you get to take on more high risk patients. Follow me please." We walk down the hall as he explains further, and I nod at the respected times.

I didn't let my frustration show as we spoke to one another. I'm glad to be getting at least one high risk patient, but I expected more than that. I guess I understand the reason why they do this to the doctors who apply for this position.

This is to see if the psychologist can handle the job or not, even if they believe they could. I refuse to back down from this challenge, and I get excited as I think about the days ahead of me.

Jonathan shows me the room I will meet my patients in and explains that two guards will be with me inside. I can ask them to stand outside, but it's he advises against it.

He takes me to see the 2 of my patients and I'm grateful for the guards that will be with me. One is a rapists and the other, a cannibal. I really don't want to be raped or eaten alive.

"Where are my other two, Jonathan?" He takes me to a set of big heavily armored doors that look like the same ones I had seen before. This must be on the other side of the center of the Asylum. I wonder how many people are locked up on the other side. I go to walk through, but I'm stopped once again.

"I wouldn't go in there if I we're you. Your beautiful red blouse will set him off, and I don't think you want to get killed on your first day." I have to hold my tongue before I snap back at him. If I get killed for walking, then what the hell are the guards for?! Isn't that why we have them working with us? What good are they if they can't do their jobs?

I know he can see my rage and the questions show plainly on my face, but he doesn't elaborate further. I bite my lip to keep from groaning in frustration, but I follow him away from the doors.

My curiosity has now doubled in need to see what reaction my blouse will cause, but I also don't want to die so soon either. Who would my blouse set off anyway?

"Who would get triggered by the color red? And what would happen?" I know I already asked this, but I can't help my growing curiosity. Jonathan looks at me with his eyes and frowns.

"Why does it matter? Are you going to go in there and see yourself? Isn't that knowledge of possibly dying enough to scare you away?" He talks like he is addressing a small child. Who does he think he is? I can take care of myself.

"It does scare me. I just want to know who to avoid and what would happen if I do end up running into whoever when I'm wearing red." It's very logical explanation even if I don't think I need to be explaining myself. I want to know who and what I could possibly face in the near future. I need to know how to avoid this and how to handle it should the need arise.

"Want my advice? Don't wear anymore red. I won't be around to save you if you do." He stalks away before I can give him a piece of my mind. What the hell does that mean? Most of my wardrobe is red, and I don't have time to go shopping later.

I sigh heavily and start towards my office. So many questions run through my mind, and I'm starting to get a headache. Luckily my meetings don't start until tomorrow, so I have the rest of the day. I want to study the files and write up some possible questions.