Chapter 23

I'm currently back in my hotel room as I take a long much needed scolding hot bath. After my soul shattering day, Joker told me to run. He said to avoid people for a few days, or maybe work all together.

I took his advice, and I told Cash to tell Ivy to talk to Joker so she wouldn't worry about me. I'm going to miss them so much. More than I ever thought that I would. How did my life become so twisted? When did I start trusting dangerous criminals more than I did normal people?

That's been two days ago, and I've been sick with worry for my friends. I'm starting to realize how much they really mean to me. 'To think that I had been second away from saying goodbye to them all' I say to myself. Jones saved that part of my life, but ruined every other part along the way.

My phone buzzes beside the tub and I pick it up to see that I have a text from Aron. I'm needed at work because I have a patient 'fearing for my health'. I roll my eyes and shake my head at the ridiculousness of that statement. I wonder who could be so worried about me? I'm nothing special anymore.

I sigh as I stand up out of the water and walk into my hotel room. I change into a red blouse and black skirt with my new black pumps. I put red lipstick on and black eyeliner. I stick my contacts in and throw my hair into a tight pony tail. I smile at myself in the mirror in excitement. I look drop dead sexy and gorgeous.

I make my way to my car as I head to work. I took three days off, but looks like I'm going back to work early. I can't believe that it's almost three weeks since I started here. I didn't know so much could happen in such a short time.

I pull up and walk inside as I flash my ID to the guards who don't even look at it anymore. Fuck you, too . Why make me wear it everyday if you aren't even going to check for it? I make it into my office to drop my things off, then I head straight to the meeting room.

I walk in only to be tackled in a bear hug by two very worried girls. Ivy and Cat are asking question after question which makes me start laughing. I didn't know I could cause such a disturbance in the Asylum.

"I'm fine guys. Didn't you talk to Joker?" They start yelling about how they're going to end the wardens his life, and how much of a sick son of a bitch he is. I finally manage to calm them down as we all sit around the table. Do I really cause this much of a fuss?

"So you guys did talk to him?" They nod and explain what all he told them. I'm surprised that he told them anything. "That's good. I hoped he would explain everything to you. Sorry I made you worry so much."

We talk about how the last two days have been for me, and I tell them about living in a hotel for the time being. I ask them how their days have been and how Joker is doing. They give me a weird look when I ask about him, but they answer anyway.

That's when they notice all the red that I'm wearing and shake their heads. Ivy says that I have a death wish while Cat tells me I've got some guts. I chuckle at their different responses, but I realize how much I love them. My sisters from other misters as I call them. I see them kind of like my family since my real family abandoned me.

We talk for a long time before they get sent back to their cells, leaving me with nothing to do, so I walk around Arkham as I think about what I'm doing. As I'm walking, I stare down at my feet and think about my decision this morning.

Do I really want Joker to notice me? Possibly just a little bit. Do I want to kiss him again? Absolutely. Over the past two days, I have had time to think about what my life has become and where the possible outcomes are going to take me.

I know that these feelings I've started to develop are highly against the rules of my job, but I can't help it. I can't tell if my feelings are purely lust or if I actually care for Joker. He seems to care for me, but that could just be another way to get me to fall for him.

I'm not sure if I should really trust him, or avoid him. Why would you wear so much red if you were going to avoid him? A voice in my head asks me this, and I don't have a response. I'm not sure where I want my future to end up, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to make a big decision soon.

I'm so caught up in walking and thinking that I run right into a hard wall. Muscular arms catch me before I fall down and I look up into the green eyes that haunt my dreams. My legs turn into putty and I have to lean on the wall to stay standing.

Joker stands there before the guards pull him far away from me. We look at each other until his eyes rake my body, taking in all the red that I'm wearing. I hear him growl in approval as he gets dragged away by the guards. I melt at the sound, and my red lace panties get slightly wet. I'm fucking doomed and I haven't even seen him in action yet.

I watch as he is taken around the corner and out of my eye sight. I almost run after him, but I force myself to walk away. Calm yourself you sex goddess! I scramble to pull myself together while my conscience tries to find my brain again.

I enter my office and sit on my chair as I pull out my phone since I have nothing planned. After my session this morning with the girls, I have absolutely no idea what to do for the rest of the day. I would normally do paperwork and evaluate everything the girls would tell me, but I haven't even been taking their files to the sessions so what's the point?

I play on my phone, pausing to charge it every once in a while, for the rest of the day. I even draw little hearts with H+J in them in my planner since I won't put anything from the sessions in it. I can't get the green eyed clown out of my mind, and I'm starting to not want to. Does that make me a bad person?

I go to the bathroom down the hall before I leave, and when I get back to my office, I freeze at the door. There is another rose on my desk, but the note is in Dr. Smiths hands. I stand there in my doorway as he glares at the paper. How dare he just barge into my office? How dare he read things that aren't for him to read?!

"Looks like your more than friends with them. Joker is asking you to come visit him the night of the staff party. Says it'll be a blast of fun." Joker wants me to come to the party? Why would he want me to do that? And what does he have planned for me? Oh you know what he has planned.

"It's a shame that you won't be allowed to attend because of this note and the fact that your father is the host. He doesn't want his disowned daughter making an appearance and ruining the night." I watch as he sticks the note in his pocket, probably to take it to the sick fuck who runs the place.

"Guards, show Harley the door. And you don't have to be gently with this one." I feel hands on me as I scream and kick at them to release me. I refuse to be treated like a fucking animal!!