Chapter 3

The day goes by quickly as I sit in my office studying my files. I seriously had my work cut out for me, and I send a silent prayer to god, hoping that the guards aren't useless tomorrow. I really don't want to get killed, raped, or ate. That would fucking suck.

I shiver at that last thought as I pack everything up for the day. I exit the build and walk over to my car. I don't even want to think about all the ways I could die tomorrow.

Getting home, I leave my work coat on the back seat before heading to the elevator. I sigh as I watch the numbers go up slower than molasses. Five minutes later, I finally unlock the door to my apartment.

I leave my purse in my room before I go take a shower. I have a date tonight with my boyfriend and he hates it when I make us late. He had told me last week that I needed to get really dressed up for this one. Don't disappoint me again, Harleen. His voice flashes through my mind.

I wash with my strawberry body wash and shampoo. I condition my hair and shave away unwanted hair. I step out of the bathroom and into my bedroom.

I squeeze my pale skinny body into a tight fitting white dress, matching white pumps with it. I traded my glasses for my contacts.  I put on light eyeliner and mascara with light nude lipstick. I curl my hair into soft ringlets down my back.

I nearly faint in fear when my doorbell rings. What if he doesn't like what I'm wearing? What if I say the wrong thing again? What if my tongue slips before I can stop it?

I grab a small white clutch and put my phone inside with some money and my keys. I take one last look at myself before I go meet him at the door.

I smile brightly at him when he looks at me, but I can barely breath as I wait for his reaction. He nods his head once and I lock the door behind me as I leave, letting out the breath I was holding.

I ask him about his day as we head to the lobby downstairs. Him and my father have gotten along swell and continue to expand their company all over the world. He doesn't ask about my day, and I don't expect him to.

I try to shrug it off like it's nothing, but it still hurts. When we first met, he was the sweetest guy I could ever meet. Now, he is the man in my nightmares and has me flinching every time a guy tries to touch me.

He takes me to my favorite restaurant downtow, making my heart light up like the 4th of July. I hope this night turns out better than any of the other nights. He opens my car door and I take his arm in mine. Put on a good show and don't let anyone see the truth.

"Mr. Wright and Miss Quinzel." He speaks to the waiter about our reservation, who guides us to a three seated table in the far back. Why is there three? Is my father coming as well?

A small candle is in the center with a large bouquet of daisies. My favorite flower is a rose. Did he forget that? I don't mind daisies, but they aren't my favorite either. Are they for someone else?

The thought hits me hard and I stumble a little. His glare is enough to make my mind stop working and I almost shrink away. This isn't going to end well. He pulls out my seat for me to sit in, like a true gentleman. My eyes water at the thought because I know this is all for show. It isn't real.

"Daisies?" I ask him, but he takes them away before I could touch them. I tried to get it out of my mind, but I couldn't. I know I would give anything to escape him, yet it hurts so much to do so. Why does it hurt so much?

I look at him with pleading eyes, but he is no longer focused on me. His eyes shine brightly at something behind me, and because of my damned curiosity, I turn around.

My breath catches in my throat and my heart drops to the floor as I watch a tall beautiful brunette walk over and kiss Kyle. He kisses back lovingly and pulls out her chair for her. She smiles brightly as he hands her the flowers.

That answers that question, but what the FUCK did I just witness?! I can feel my anger rise higher and higher as they start talking fondly. Who the hell is this bitch?! Kyle notices my violent glare and clears his throat before giving me a look that has my anger cooling in seconds.

"Harleen. Your place. Remember it. Now, this is Candy. My soon to be wife. Candy, this is the woman I spoke to you about." HIS WIFE?!?! Oh, now I'm fucking furious. I could have looked the other way before, but now I'm so pissed I could kill her. The fact that I can think like this disturbs me, but I shake it off for now.

When the fuck did this happen? That's when all the pieces clicked into place like a giant puzzle. The late nights, the sudden disappearing acts, the date cancelations. He sees my anger and his eyes flare with the same intensity. Hit me bitch. I dare you. Right here in front of everyone.

"I want to be with Candy, but your father wishes for me to marry you. I will marry both of you. You will be for purely image and Candy will be my true wife who will birth my children." Oh sweet baby Jesus please give me strength in this serious time for self-fucking-contol.

"No." I state fiercely and firmly. I will not by any fucking means live this way. I would rather die then be a side woman and come second. I will be the first and only woman. I don't give a shit. He wouldn't dar-

Slap. My head snaps to the right, almost knocking me from my chair. He has never hit me in public. Never. My hand goes straight to my face as I bite the inside of my cheek. I will not break in front of these people. He will not have the satisfaction of seeing me weak.

I can take a hit just fine. My father never beat me. He may have screamed, starved, and threatened me. I never knew the meaning of physical abuse until Kyle entered my life.

"Candy, leave." She stands and walks away without question. We sit there glaring at one another. Do it again. I fucking dare you, you motherfucking coward.

After an eternity of tension and mental arguing, he pulls a plain silver circle out of his pocket. From the look I give it, it should have caught fire and burned through the table.

Slap. My head snaps to the right again. Oh this just keeps getting better and better. I feel blood trickle down my now bruised cheek, and I know his ring cut me.

"You will know your place and make my company grow stronger. You will do as I say."

"Or what?" My mouth speaks before my mind catches it. I see his eyes darken several shades.

"Or I will drop your father from the company." I smirks know that my father is my one and only weakness. My father has never been so proud of his little girl before, and I can't go back to being alone in this filthy world. Would you rather give yourself up and suffer until you die?

"I have video clips from back when you danced for money at bars and clubs. I'm sure daddy dearest would just love to to see how you made your money. Then I'll show the company. He gets dropped and you get disowned for being a whore." Tears go down my face and I mentally slap myself.

Dad always said that if I cry, I am no longer his daughter. I cry more as I think about the situation I'm in. I'm no longer his daughter for crying, but I really don't need anyone knowing my past. If work seen those videos...I can't even imagine what would happen to me.

"What's your decision? Save your reputation, or destroy yourself and your father?" When did it come to this? Where did I ever go wrong? What could I have done differently?

He grins as I slowly reach my hand out to him. I can't lose my job to this prick. I won't let him ruin me, but I don't want to do this either. I will find a way out of this. Even if it fucking kills me to do so.