Pan's Labyrinth Chapter 11

Recap: I find Ofelia sitting up in bed and ask her why she was up. She just said that the faun was here and given her something to help her mother get better so she may finish the final two tasks. The faun was here. How did he get in the room without him being seen? Oh I hope he didn't hear my conversation with the captain. 

Nova's POV

I sit on the side of the bed with Ofelia as she pulls the book out from under the bed. Opening it we see ourselves illustrated in a room with a lavish table full of food. In the wall are three niches. And at the far end of the table, a pale human figure. Ofelia starts to read. "Use the chalk to trace a door anywhere in the room. Open it and start the hourglass. Let yourself be guided by the fairies. Don't eat or drink anything and come back before the last grain of sand falls through.

 Don't eat or drink anything and come back before the last grain of sand falls through

Ofelia draws the outline of a door on a nearby wall and pushes the door open. We see a long hallway. Ofelia places a chair in the long hallway to step down. She goes through first and I follow close behind turning the hourglass as I go. We walk down the corridor and enter a large room with elaborate paintings on all the walls and ceiling. In the middle of the room is a large wooden table overflowing with a cornucopia of cakes, meat, fish and fruits. At the end of the table sits motionless a pale man with a featureless face and a skeletal body.  A small metallic plate sits in front of him with two human eyeballs on it. I shiver just looking at him. 

Nova's POV

Nova's POV

Ofelia lets the fairies out of their basket to fly around. "Ofelia stay here and don't touch anything." I tell her as I take the key to the carved notches in the side wall.

 One of the fairies lands to inspect the thee little doors and points to the middle one

 One of the fairies lands to inspect the thee little doors and points to the middle one. I put the key in the lock but it doesn't turn. "No it's this one." I say as I go to the adjoining door. The key turns and the door opens. I reach in and pull out a golden dagger rapped in a old brown cloth. As I hold the dagger in my hand I lose myself to my thoughts. What would the faun need a dagger for? What could the final task be that he would need a dagger? Would he hurt Ofelia or myself with it? I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't hear the ruckus the fairies were making. As I turn around I see Ofelia frozen where she stood with the pale man eating the head off of one of the fairies. "Ofelia run!" I hollered as I grabbed her and took off through the corridor. As we ran back to the entrance that we came through with the pale man right behind us, the sand ran out of the hourglass and the door to our escape closed right before we could get there. "No!" Ofelia cries . She jumped up on the chair and started to draw another door on the ceiling as I looked behind us to see the pale man with his hand out with an eye in the palm of it. My god it has eyes in its hands. It spots us and start running to us. "Nova!" Ofelia screams as she is trying to get back up through the door. I push her up and I hurry to get up myself. Just before I get through the pale man grabs my foot and try's to pull me back down. Ofelia screams And grabs ahold of me as I kick my foot lose of his grip and climb through and we slam the door close. We try to catch our breath while the lines to the door seal close keeping it from opening again. 

"Ofelia are you ok? What happened?" I asked her while I hold her shaking form in my arms. "I couldn't stop myself Nova. I was so hungry. I ate a couple of the grapes. I didn't think anyone would notice." She babbled out quickly as she buried her face in my lap. "Oh Ofelia" is all I can say as l hold her and try to clam her down. But my mind is screaming at me that I failed her. I should have known that I can't turn my back to her for long. I am suppose to keep her safe and I nearly lost her.