Pan's Labyrinth Chapter 15

I was so exhausted from all the worrying and the heart breaking words of the faun last night that I slept late the following morning. I awoke to shouting coming from Carmen's room next door. I ran to the room to find Carmen on the floor near the fireplace with a lot of blood coming from her womb. Ofelia by her side crying for help. As I make it to Carmen's side I hear a horrible inhuman squeal coming from the fireplace. I look and see the mandrake root dying and burning. The captain and Mercedes rushes in the room. Mercedes quickly ushers us out into the hallway. A short while later Ofelia and myself are anxiously sitting in the hallway with a stream of servants coming and going from Carmen's room. The captain standing a short distance away.  We can hear the screams and cries coming from the room as Carmen is giving birth. One of the maids comes out with a balled up wad of bloody sheets. Mercedes follows and washes the blood off her hands in a basin. Suddenly Carmen's cries stop and are replaced by the cries of a baby. I take a sigh of relief thinking it is all ok.  Then a military doctor comes out of the room and whispers to the captain your wife is dead. The captain rushes in to the room leaving Ofelia and I sitting heartbroken in the hall. 

I take Ofelia's hand and bring her back to our room as we hear the continuous cries of the newborn baby

I take Ofelia's hand and bring her back to our room as we hear the continuous cries of the newborn baby. I hold tightly to Ofelia as she cries her heart out over the loss of her mother.  

(I know another short chapter but i have to leave it there for now. It is late and I need rest. But i will continue tomorrow god willing.)