Pan's Labyrinth chapter 5

The dinner party 

As I finished up dressing Ofelia and her mother, I headed back to my chambers to find something decent to ware for tonight's dinner

As I finished up dressing Ofelia and her mother, I headed back to my chambers to find something decent to ware for tonight's dinner. As I entered my room Mercedes was there finishing cleaning the room and getting ready to leave. "There is a hot bath ready for you and your dress is on the bed." She said as she left the room. I looked on the bed to see the most beautiful dress laying across my bed with just as beautiful jewelry to match.

 I looked on the bed to see the most beautiful dress laying across my bed with just as beautiful jewelry to match

"Mercedes" I called to get her attention

"Mercedes" I called to get her attention. "Yes ma'am. where did this dress and jewelry come from? The captain ordered it delivered to your room for you Mis Nova. He insisted that you ware it." Is all that she said before she left. So this is what he is trying to use to persuade me. Though it is one of the most beautiful dress I've ever seen, I would never allow my judgment to be persuaded by such frivolous things. But it is the captains orders to ware the dress and I have no other dress to ware so I take my bath and change. 

When my hair is done I get called to assist miss. Carmen to the dinner hall in her wheelchair. The guest have arrived and are waiting on us. As Carmen and I arrive all the guest looked at us and said how beautiful we looked as Carmen and I thanked them. I weeled miss. Carmen to sit at the captains right hand side. I thought I would be sitting next to her but apparently the captain had other plans. I was told I would be sitting on the captains left side. Across the table from Carmen. (Oh joy. Note of sarcasm.) I also noticed that Ofelia was not present as she should be. I quietly asked Mercedes where Ofelia had gone while the other guest talked among themselves but all Mercedes said is that she had wandered off earlier that day and had not come back as of yet. This made me worry quite a bit. Where was she. I could see Carmen was really worried to. What made things worse was that the captain would not keep his eyes off me, or should I say more pacifically my body. Carmen seemed to notice to and tried to distract his attention back to her witch I was grateful for. The captain would gently rub his hand on Carmen's belly and blatantly tern to stare at me afterwords. As if he was just waiting for Carmen to give birth so he can have me next. Disgusting. 

As the night wore on and the guest talked about there frivolous lives I became more worried about Ofelia and more annoyed with the captains starring. Finally I could not stand staying there any longer. I excused myself on the grounds that I must go look for Ofelia much to Carmen's great relief that someone's going to look for her. The captain clearly did not care about Ofelia's where about's and was not happy about my sudden excusing myself from his company but I could not care. My concerns now were solely for Ofelia.