Fort Defy

Samuel's POV

"This is Beacon!" Viridian announced as we reached the grand building. The door frame towered over all of us and from the inside I could make out dozens of people waiting around.

"Ruby! Look I saved you a spot!" A grill with long, blonde haired called out. Ruby's eyes light up and looked over to blondie. "Hey look I gotta go, I'll see you after the ceramony!"

"Wait," Jaune called out after Little Red, but his efforts were in vain. "Now where am I going to find another nice, quirky girl to talk to."

"Uh, I'm still standing right here." Viridian crossed her arms over her chest and looked at Jaune. "Oh, Um right. I'm going to go find a spot."

"Have fun." I smirked as Jaune walked away, leaving just Viridian and I. "So much fun."

I snickered as he walked off and I turned to face the purple eyed girl. "So, you're Sam right?"

"Indeed I am, my name is actually Samuel, but my freinds call me Sam." I smiled, hopefully I made another friend. "Well you can call me Vi."

We engaged in a conversation about where we came from until I was tapped on the shoulder. I turned to see a tall male with black hair and Blue eyes looking down at me.

"Um hello?" I questioned and looked over at Vi who shrugged at me. My gaze shifted back to the black haired man. "Sorry to inturrupt, but do you know when the ceramony is set to begin?"

"No I don't, but I can't imagine it being to much longer." At this point I also realised that the man was a Fanus, judging by his tail and ears. "Alright thanks, I'm Ryan by the way."

"Sam." We shook hands, and mere seconds later we could hear the sound of someone tapping on a microphone.

"Seems this is showtime." Vi smiled and stood next to Ryan and I. Professor Ozpin and Glynda were on the stage, Professor Ozpin was readying the microphone.

"I'll... keep this brief. You have traveled here today in search of knowledge, to hone your craft and acquire new skills, and when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose, direction." This seemed to start whisper among the students. Including Vi and Ryan who held a low conversation. What was Professor Ozpin trying to start with the students? "You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you to take the first step."

Ozpin proceeded to step away from the microphone using his cane for support. Taking his spot was the wizard lady I know knew as Glynda Goodwitch.

"You will gather in the ballroom tonight; tomorrow, your initiation begins. Be ready. You are dismissed." I looked towards the duo besides me and Ryan shrugged a bit. "Was it just me or did the headmaster seem off?"

"I think you have a point Vi, something was definitely off with Professor Ozpin." I agreed with the purple haired girl. Ryan decided to give his opinion on the matter. "Moving on, does anyone know where the ballroom is?"

"Nope."

Third Person POV

Viridian, Ryan, and Samuel all made there way around the school. They asked many of people for the directions to the ballroom, finally they had been able to find their way.

As students began to flood the ballroom and change into their nightwear Ruby laid on her sleeping back next to her sister.

"I didn't get to bring my friends with me, it's weird not knowing anyone." Ruby complained as she shut her journal and switched positions to lay on her back.

"What about Jaune? He's... Nice! Plus one friend, that's a hundred percent increase!" Yang added with positivity. Her smile hopefully making up for her lie. "Pretty sure Weiss counts as a negative friend, back to zero."

"What about that boy with the brown hair, and the eccentric purple girl? They seemed to be pretty friendly." Ruby thoght over her sisters words before looking at her. "I guess you're right, they're super nice."

"See my little sisters making friends already!" Yang smiled and punched her playfully on the shoulder. "I guess so... Hey, that girl."

Back with Sam, Ryan, and Vi. They were currently having a contest as to who could build the best fort out of sleeping bags and pillows. Ryan's fort was made up of two pillows and a blanket spread over the top, he was just barley able to fit inside without destroying the whole thing.

"Not to shabby, but feast your eyes upon the teepee of wonder!" Sam announced showing off his teepee like structure. He used Kalamity in order to make the centerpiece and blankets were used to create the outer layer. "Woah, you used your weapon."

"Your work is such a tragedy." Vi smirked and crossed her arms. She moved to the side and picked up her staff from the ground. "Watch and learn, this is Fort Defy."

Like magic the blankets and pillows began lifting off the ground and creating a large fort with no internal supports.

"Okay I don't know if they're rules to this competition, but I think that this might be considered cheating." Ryan examined, but his tent like structure collapsed a top of him, making the trip burst out laughing. "It's not cheating, it's my semblance, Gravity. I can make things and people lighter or heavier."

"Some people are trying to sleep!" An heiress with snow white hair called out from across the room.

"Sorry ice queen!" Sam called out and then started laughing once more.

"It is beginning to get late, and tomorrow is the initiation. So maybe we should get some sleep." Vi spoke, her fort dropped to the ground and became a pile of blankets and pillows.

"You're right." Ryan spoke as he blew out the candle next to him, the room began to fade into black as the trip fell into a deep slumber.