17. She looked Like A Goddess

THERE WAS NOTHING Sebastian wanted more than to sit back in his house and relax. He hated that he was in lady Rortford's ball. Apparently, the dowager had thrown the ball hoping her son might find a wife and marry as soon as possible. After all, Rortford himself was already leaning toward his late thirties.

Sebastian could bet his money that if Rortford should so much as find a bride and decide to elope to Greta green with her. The dowager countess would give her full consent. He chuckled at the thought. He felt useless in the ball. Hell! He should have been in his club drinking with his peers, but here he was in a damn ball again. His sister had needed some kind of chaperone, and there was no way he could have let her come alone. It would have set the wagging tongues lose. His great aunt, who was supposed to have been her chaperone, had come down with sickness. He had no choice but to accompany Victoria.

That was how he found himself in lady Rortford's ball, accosted by every single marriage-minded mother. All of which all but shoved their daughter at him. God! What was the world turning into. They were supposed to be discreet in this type of affairs. But somehow all the mothers must have forgotten about that one.

Right now he was tucked away in a corner, glowering at any mother who tried to approach him. His expression ferocious, his mouth set in a hard, firm line. But it didn't stop them, many of which still tried to approach him.

Bloody Tarnation! Sebastian cursed. How had a look he used to bring better men down? A look he used on occasions to make men quiver in fear, manage to have the opposite effect on marriage minded mother. Somehow, along the line, they must have decided it made him look dashing in a rakish way.

From the corner of his eyes Sebastian saw another mother with her three daughters trying to reach out to him. He feigned ignorance and propelled his legs to carry him faster cursing as he went to the refreshment table.

The woman was gaining in on him; he realized. For a someone as small as she was, it sure as hell was a great feat! As soon as she reached him, Sebastian popped a tart into his mouth, munching with all the drama he could muster. His ancestors must surely be ashamed of him.

Seeing that the duke was disposed and would rather not be disturbed. The woman moved on with her daughters. Only after she had gotten a few feet away from the refreshment table did Sebastian stop his pretense, and release a breath, he didn't know he was holding.

Looking across the room to make sure he was saved. He scored the room with his eyes covering every possible place, but he found himself staring into Julia's eyes. He couldn't look away. He couldn't move. It was as if his feet were rooted to the floor.

Julia looked like a goddess, he thought. Her hair was adorned in such a way that it emphasized the shape of her face. And her gown was something else entirely.

It dipped in the front revealing a touch of creamy skin and flared from the waist. He eyed her again, her eyes locked with his, trying to convey a message to him, but he didn't understand. He was drunk on her beauty. Julia radiated beauty in an entirely different way. Eyeing her again, he noticed that her face had gone white.

That was when he noticed Wychford by her side, and he was standing a little too close for comfort, gripping Julia's arm. His hands fisted by his side and his mouth tightened. As he watched, Julia glanced back at him, her eyes pleading.

Sebastian froze. Finally understanding the whole situation. Julia was in trouble, and she wanted to get out of there. His mind screamed at him.

Propelling himself forward, Sebastian made his way towards them until he was standing in front of them. Only then did he manage to rein in his anger. He caught snippets of their conversation, something about a house and a dowry, but he couldn't even begin to comprehend it. Jaw set, he touched Wychford by his shoulder and said through clenched teeth "I might have to cut in, the lady I believe promised this dance to me."

Wychford was unwilling to let go. He knew the duke was lying. He wanted to refuse, but one glance at Sebastian told him that this was not a man one trifled with. Granted he was in the military, and perhaps he had more skills, but this man here, had a size he could put to good use should the occasion arise, and he wasn't a fool as to dance in the lion's den.

Sebastian's trance was set at ease. As if any moment from now he would pounce on him, and his eyes gleamed with unconcealed fury.

Wychford released Julia even though he didn't want to, but he was a man who recognized where the greater strength lies. As soon as he released her, Sebastian swept Julia into the comforts of the garden.

~~~~~~

THE GARDERN was dark, the only source of light coming from the balcony above, it's light casting about the garden. Sebastian waited patiently for Julia to catch her erratic breath, her breasts heaving up and down. She presented a very nice picture then, one he filed in his memory. It was all he could do not to snatch her from there and give her another reason to breathe erratically.

He could feel himself getting hard. Control, he reminded himself. He needed to be in control. Thank God it was dark, Sebastian thought. He could quietly reach down and adjust himself without her knowing. Sebastian sighed. He needed to find out what was amiss. Why Wychford was gripping her hand like that? He had to find out. Folding his hands in front of his massive chest, he said, "I should like to know what is wrong."

Sebastian watched as Julia tried but failed to smile. "Honestly, it's a petulant matter, you needn't concern yourself with it."

"Is he threatening you? Sebastian drawled," Is that it? "I heard him say dowry, Hell! what does that even mean? Does he mean to get his hand in it? Is that it?"

Julia froze, it was so brief that if he hadn't been looking closely at her, he might not have seen it.

"What else did you hear?" She said, sounding calm for someone who minutes ago was visibly shaken. Sebastian was impressed. Most ladies he knew would have been completely shaken by the whole experience, but here she was, calm and collected. He had to admit, he admired about her. Her ability to remain calm, when faced with an ugly situation, never for once betraying her emotion.

"Does it look like I will say anything until you tell me what he had been saying. Damn it, Julia!" Sebastian said as he grabbed Julia by the shoulder and shook her, "Damn it! did he threaten you?" Sebastian beseeched.

Tactfully removing Sebastian's hand from her shoulder Julia muttered, "why, this isn't even any concern ofâ¦" Sebastian raised his hand forestalling her. "This isn't the time to act foolish and childish. Bloody hell! Julia, what did he say!" Sebastian bit out, growling the last part out.

"Okay, okay!" Julia said and lifted her hand to grip her forehead. Her voice was small when she said, "He asked me to be his mistress."

Sebastian blinked. "He did what!" Cursing under his breath, he paced back and forth in an unsymmetrical pattern, his chest heaving, his breathing uneven, coming out harshly from his mouth.