25. Whose Marriage?

JULIA WAS ON TOP of her mare, on her way to Hyde Park. It was still early which meant that most of the fashionable ton was still abed. After the events of yesterday, she could hardly sleep at all.

Her heart was racing and she knew she couldn't lie to herself again even though that was all she had done in the last fortnight. She had called it many things, lust, desire, but one thing which she had refused to acknowledge until now was the truth. even though it has stared right in front of her face.

She had fallen in love with Sebastian. A man who would never bend to her will.

She had always known that Sebastian was someone who would never marry a woman and forget about her or perhaps let her do as she so pleases at least not with those kisses and sweet caress. moreover, he has a strong aversion to women visiting the gaming hell.

Which leaves her with this dilemma. What is she to do now. Julia was totally confused. She was a fool and she had gone and ruined her plans all by herself. Even the thoughts of seducing Cole was not enough to keep her going.

When she had first hatched her plan, she had not featured love in it. That way it was easy for her. No emotions attached. But now that she had fallen in love with Sebastian everything was different. She could not even bear to seduce Cole when her heart yearned for another. how can she marry Cole knowing she was in love with Sebastian.

Her mind and her heart were at war for wanting two separate things. Julia sighed deeply and urged her mare forward until both the rider and the mare galloped at top speed.

On her way, Julia glimpsed a lone rider, she couldn't exactly see the person's face because it was not yet bright but she could tell that the rider was not riding. The person seems to be waiting for someone.

She wanted to turn back but she was too far from home, he might give chase and then where would she be. knowing there was no other part that leads to Hyde's park apart from that one, Julia prepared herself. Even if she was seen, it would be hard to distinguish her face if she rides at top speed.

Cole grinned when he saw Julia headed his way. when he had decided to talk to Julia he knew this would be the best place to do so. After being with her for a time or two he was able to deduce some of these things, like how she loved morning rides just like him. So when he had rounded his horse and rode to this spot, he wasn't so sure she would be here but he had hoped she would come.

Julia rode her mare until she got closer. when she saw the rider, her eyes narrowed. Cole.

Julia didn't stop her mare as Cole thought she would, instead she rode passed him. Galloping at high speed.

Cole cursed, urged his horse forward, and gave chase. he should have known she was a stubborn wench.

Cole didn't just love horses but was also am excellent horseman. He pursed Julia all the way until they were riding side by side then he grinned when he saw where they were headed. The serpentine.

Julia stopped her mare at the foot of a tree and dismounted. Quickly, Cole followed suit, tying his horse to the tree.

Casually he walked behind her and like an unspoken agreement they walked over to the edge of the lake and sat down, their bottom connecting with the hard earth.

He crossed his legs lazily, as he cracked his brain on how to breach his question to Julia, but as soon as he opened his mouth she beat him to it.

"What are you doing here she asked, then she frowned. "If I hadn't known better I might have thought you were up there waiting for me."

"Indeed I was."

Julia felt her mouth open on their own accord. She hadn't actually expected him to say the truth! "Why?" She gasped out.

He shrugged. "I wanted to talk to you."
when Julia heard that she wanted to laugh. "And you couldn't send a note?"

Cole's eyes deepened as he stared at Julia. His voice low and rough. "you and I both know that it is not quite proper to send a note to you from my house. If it was coming from Sebastian's house then it's quite a different case, at least one might think that the note was penned by Vicky."

Julia actually kept quiet when she heard that. What he said was quite true. It would be scandalous if anyone should discover that she received a note from a gentleman. She sighed prettily.

"What was it you wanted to tell me?"

"I didn't exactly say I wanted to tell you anything. I said I needed to talk to you."

Julia frowned. "Isn't that the same thing."

Cole shook his head and stared at Julia, he could see why his friend had lost his head on this one. Today she did not have her hat with her, instead, her red hair was plaited neatly behind her back. Still, some strands seem to have escaped as they now framed her face creating a touch of color on her pale clear face. Her eyes were blue and her plump lips, red.

She could easily be called an attractive woman.

When he had learned of his friend's affectation for her, he had slowly lost interest until all he could really do was appreciate her beauty without feeling the least bit lust for her. A smile tugged at his lips, causing one side to lift up.

She could even be something he never had before. A female friend.

Julia folded her hands "Well?"

Cole grinned. "I am here to talk about marriage.

"Marriage?" Julia's eyes widen as she echoed the words after him.

Cole smiled. "Why are you so surprised?"

The question didn't seem to have registered in her head because all Julia's did was open her mouth and close it. She looked utterly speechless.

"Whose marriage?" She finally managed to ask with wide, wide eyes. her voice barely audible.

"Yours of course," Cole said. "You know I can help you with Sebastian. you do know that right?"

Julia swallowed. Could it be that Cole knew she was in love with Sebastian? How is that even possible when she herself is just finding out. Or had she been that obvious? Julia shuddered at that thought. Her palm was suddenly wet so she wiped it on her breeches. still, all she could think about was how did Cole know, but what she didn't know was that cole was as ignorant as he should be. He was using accusation and certainty anything he could get his hands on to pry the necessary answers from Julia. But she didn't know that.