Prologue

4 years ago

Summer is over, which means school is about to begin. This year I will be attending high school. I am finally done with middle school.

"Hunny guess what?!" My mother comes home from the grocery store and doesn't even bother bringing down the groceries. This must be good news.

I met her in the living room. "You won the lottery?" I guessed.

"No, not yet. Nevermind that. I just got off the phone with the principal from St. Louis Private School. They accepted you! School starts next week at honey." She hugs me and kisses my forehead. I know she wants the best for me so I act surprised as well, even though I am not.

"Wow, that's great."

All my friends are going to attend Charles High school which is a public school. I barely afford to attend a private school. This should be interesting. I call my friend Anna because she needs to know that I will no longer go to highschool with her.

In the third ring she answers and I don't even let her say hello.

"Meet me at the park," I tell her.

"It's Ten AM, this better be good," she says.

"It's not," I say and hang up.

I take the bus to the park and I spot her sitting on a swing. Anna is my closest friend. We relate in so many ways. We joined the same sports and clubs. We hear the same music and we go everywhere together. But that was all going to be over.

I sit on the swing that is beside her.

"So what's up?" Anna looks over at me.

"I'm attending St. Louis High school this fall," I tell her the bad news.

She jumps up from the swing."What?! You do know that it is a rich school, right? Did your mom win the lottery or something?"

"That's what I thought the news was going to be."

We both sigh.

"So what now?" She asks as she sits back down on the swing.

I kick the sand and look at her. "Now?" I wonder as I look at her. "Now we say goodbye."

She nods.

Charles High School is 6 miles away from where I live, while St. Louis is just 1 mile. Anna lives closer to Charles High so it will be tough to ever see her again.