Chapter 12 He's my boyfriend

The next day at school I saw Alex pass by my locker.

"Hey, Alex," I yell because he seems to be walking fast. He turns around and spots me behind him.

"Yeah?" He scans the hall to see if the close is clear from Michael and Carlos.

"Here you go." I gave him his book.

"Oh, thanks." He smiles and leaves.

The rest of the week at school, Michael and Carlos take turns to hang out with me. Carlos mentions to me that he's been hanging out with Amber more lately and in the book club Amber admits how Carlos is such a sweetheart. Michael and I became closer than ever now that Carlos has been busy with Amber. After work, Michael and I would go buy ice cream and talk about our future. He reveals to me how he has one older brother and sister who are helping his father run the business and how after college he decided to enter the family business as well. I reveal that I want to manage my own clothing and accessory store near the beach. We also went to the record store and bought a CD and heard it in his car while we talked about our past. He confesses that he used to be in a band when he was sixteen. They were called the pond pit. He played the electric guitar and sometimes sang as well. I confess that I would always go to underground clubs when I was fifteen and sixteen. I would go to watch unknown bands play and hang out with my kind of people. The ones who can barely afford hot dogs and soda pops other than caviar and fine wine.

On Friday, after work, Michael takes me to a nearby river. We buy bread from a little kid and Michael pays the boy double the cost of the bread. We sit at a deserted bench by the river and feed the ducks with the bread that Michael bought especially for them. When we run out of bread we stare at the ducks for a while in the peaceful silence. I identify two ducks swimming in circles, one of them turns around to face the other duck, it swims next with the other one and that's how they stay for the rest of the time, swimming together. I look at Michael and he has his shades on so I can't figure out where he's staring. I smile at him and realize he was staring at me, not the ducks by my side when he smiles back. I realized that we were sitting so close to each other. Our feet have been touching this whole time. I put my hands on his face and felt his smooth cheeks. He grins and comes closer. Once he's so close to kissing me I snatch his shades and run away.

"Hey!" He runs after me and I'm laughing so hard. He catches up to me and grabs me. We fall to the floor and he flips us around so he can fall on the grass instead of me. I am about to break free by tickling him and even though he's laughing so hard he is still able to flip me around. Now he is on top of me. He tries to get his glasses but I spread my hands as far as I can so he can't reach them.

"Give me them." He jokes.

"Get them." I mock him. His both hands are now holding down my hands and I realized that he isn't fighting to get his glasses anymore. I look at him and he's staring at me. He slides his hand down and lands it on my face. He's gently rubbing my face and has a serious expression.

"What?" I ask him.

"Your beautiful Atkinson." He responds.

"That's Ms. Atkinson to you." I joke. He smiles and reaches for his glasses. I let him get them and he puts them on. He lays down next to me and we stare at the sky.

"Why do you wear shades? You have such pretty eyes." I admit.

"Thanks, I'll take that as an insult." I laugh.

"So it's going to be that way now." I joke.

"You started it." He chuckles.

"True." He sits up, folds his knees and leans back with his hands on the grass. I do the same.

"Lisa, can I ask you something." He takes off his hat and shades.

"Anything."

He pauses for a moment and looks at me sideways. "If I asked you out, would you say yes?" My heart skips a beat but I still laugh.

"What is so funny?" He asks.

"What do you call this?" I spread my arms around us.

"Hanging out," he answers.

"Sure. I'll go out with you." I smile. "But I can't this weekend."

"Why got some other date to attend?" He asks with a serious face.

"Yeah with my grandmother. I am going to go see her with my mother. She lives 4 hours away from here so we're leaving later today."

"When you come back then?"

"Of course."

He grins. "Great I'll be waiting for you."

He drops me off home and I see Carlos and Amber sitting outside my porch.

"Hey, guys," I say.

"Hey, you." Carlos comes to hug me and so does Amber.

"I put your things already in the car." Carlos notifies me.

"Thanks," I respond.

"I am going to miss you," Amber says. I hug her.

"I am too."

"Okay, honey we're ready to leave." My mom closes the trunk and she turns around to face us. I realized that Michael was walking towards her, extending his arm.

"Hi, I'm Michael." My mother shakes his hand and pulls him in for a hug.

"I heard so much about you Michael." She releases him from the hug. "Take good care of my daughter okay?"

He nods. "I will have a safe trip."

"We will." My mother says.

Michael comes back to me.

"That went well," I assure him.

"I think she likes me." He says and I laugh.

"Okay, I got to go." He pulls me into a big hug.

"I am going to miss you beautiful."

"I am going to miss you too Michael." He kisses me on the cheek and brushes my hair.

I tell Carlos and Amber goodbye as well. Michael opens the car door for me and I get in. While my mother drives out of the garage and heads to the road, they all wave bye.