Chapter 7 First? Second date?

It's finally the weekend and I head for a morning jog at my high school's football field. I can spot Carlos practicing for football. Every time he tackles someone down or does a touchdown, he looks at me and we give each other a high five in mid-air. After my jog, I head home and shower. I hose down the sweat from my run and the mud from Carlos, who had run after me and hugged me since he was filled with mud. Once I made sure every mud stain was off of me I changed to jeans, a blouse, and a cardigan. I left my hair down to dry.

I find my mother eating breakfast in the kitchen.

"Hi mom, what are you planning to do today?" I grab two cups and pour us some orange juice and join her for breakfast.

"My friend Jane wants me to help her decorate her house so we're going to IKEA. I'll be home by dinner, okay honey. Be safe wherever you go."

She finishes eating her pancakes with eggs, plants a kiss on my forehead and leaves. I don't work on Saturdays but I do tutor sometimes. I hear the bus brakes screech. I tell Mrs. Williams good morning and how I am glad to hear that her daughter had a safe trip. On the whole bus trip, she tells me what they did on her first day back. They took her out to a fancy restaurant, bought her new comforters for her bed, and went to the movies. A perfect family day out, I thought. It must be nice to have a whole family.

I arrive at the middle school and see the kid I tutor waiting for me at the same table we always sit at.

"Hi Will. How are you?" I reach for my seat.

"Hey, Lisa. It went great! I Aced my Algebra exam. Thanks to you!"

"I'm glad to hear that. So it seems here in your agenda that you have a History test on Monday?" I read the description of what the test will be about.

"Yeah, I am just having trouble understanding why some events happened." He hands me the book and turns to the World War 1 section. After one hour of history tutoring, I used it back to the game shop to visit Carlos. I enter the mall and head to Cinnabon to get a frappe. I am about to get in line when the room goes dark.

"Guess who?" I know that voice from anywhere.

"Michael?" He takes his hands off my eyes and I turn around to face him. He's grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey, you." He hugs me and swings me left to right. He smells so good like vanilla and ocean scent.

"Hi." I fix my hair behind my ear.

"What are you doing here?" he asks me. I point behind me to Cinnabon.

"I am going to get a frappe and go see Carlos after." He hasn't stopped smiling. It's contagious.

"Cool, mind if I hang with you?" I look around him expecting to see him with a girl. A guy like him should be taken by now or at least have a date.

"Who are you here with?" He nods behind me to a group of guys from the basketball team.

"Them. But they bore me. I rather hang with you." I blush and look down at my shoes.

He offers to buy my frappe and he gets one too. We pass some stores and I look at all the mannequins wearing beautiful clothes I wish I had. I stop to look at some and imagine myself wearing them. We're near the game shop where Carlos works when I catch a glimpse of a cute dress that a mannequin is wearing. It's burgundy with imprints of flowers, has a mid-length sleeve, and it's not so tight but not so loose either. I realize I've been looking at the dress for too long when a couple of girls come out of the store. I notice that it's some girls from school and they are carrying a bunch of bags.