Chapter 6 Closer to you

I park in front of the library to go across the street to get a snack and hot chocolate and then I walk to the music shop and look at the new releases.

"Hey Lisa, come. I saved this just for you."

Jack Robertson is the owner of this store and was my father's best friend back in high school. He hands me a new CD case.

"Hi Jack, what's this?"

I look at the front cover that has a picture of a new band I am not familiar with.

"They are new. You can have it."

Before I can argue, he puts it in a bag and speaks before I do, "An early birthday gift okay?" I hug him and thank him. I walk back to the library and say hello to Ms. Amster who owns the beauty salon and Mr. Kiddle who owns the car shop.

I enter the library and find Mr. Williams interviewing someone. I begin to work and once I am done with two piles of books, I look at the clock. Its 4:50 pm. I am about to place a book on the shelf when someone grabs my shoulders and a familiar voice whispers to my ear, "Hey." I jump and turn around.

"Oh my gosh, you scared me." I go back to placing books on the shelves.

"Sorry, need my keys." I hand them to Carlos.

"How was it?" I continue working.

"Great, they took us in." He laughs.

"Of course," I say.

The team needs their help. All the members are slow. They need motivation with a coach who is in his mid-forties.

"Where's Michael?" I ask.

He points to the front desk where I notice him making Mr. Williams laughed. Carlos kisses my forehead and leaves. I just finished placing the books on the shelves when Mr. William calls me.

"What's up?" I come in closer as he demands.

"Do you know Michael Henderson? He goes to your school." I blush.

"Yes, I have him for some classes." I think about those eyes and that smile.

"Okay then, he must be an acceptable guy to trust. Right?" He waits for me to answer.

"Sure. Why?"

"He will be my replacement for a couple of weeks." My heart skips a beat. "He starts on Monday. Do you mind showing him his duties? I won't be able to stay here long. I gotta go pick up my daughter from the airport later today and then I am taking her apartment hunting on Monday."

"Sure." I fake a smile. I'm more nervous than happy about this.

After work, I head for a walk in town. I stop at a bridge that landmarks the end of this town. I look down at the freeway where cars are passing by quickly. However, I can still see what most people are doing in their cars. Some are on their phones, others are changing the tune on the radio, and most of them are arguing with the other passengers in the car. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I love the feeling of the wind hitting me. I can remember when my father took me to a fair before he passed away. I was in the teapot ride with him and I could feel the rush of the wind hitting me. I am pulled away from my trance when I hear someone call me.

"Lisa?"

I turn around and realize it's Michael.

"Hey, co-worker," I say.

"You heard the news." It was more of a statement than a question.

"Yeah, I knew you get the job."