Chapter 9 Happy

It's Sunday morning. My mother and I just got out of the church. "Honey, why are you so giddy today?" She looks at me mysteriously.

"What are you talking about mother?" I try to hide my smile.

"You seem... happy like more than I ever have seen you been before." We get in the car and drive back home.

"Because I am a mother." She laughs.

"Did Carlos kiss you again?" I sigh.

"Mother! No. That was long ago. How dare you bring that up again."

It was my junior year prom and Carlos had asked me to go with him. I didn't want him to go with me because he felt bad for me so I refused. After he broke down to his knees, gave me flowers and asked me to be his date, I agreed. For prom, my mother gave me the prom dress she wore for her prom. I fixed the dress to make it look more modern and my mother's friend Ruth did my hair and makeup for me that day. While we were slow dancing, Carlos had kissed me. I stopped it and he looked shocked. I told him I needed air and once I left outside I decided to walk home. He chased after me and apologized. He couldn't explain why he had kissed me. I was happy because the kiss felt like it meant something. Yet, I was more upset than happy because I thought he felt bad for me. But we never spoke of that day ever again.

"Then what is it, honey?" She waits for an explanation as I wake up from reminiscing.

"I met someone's mother. A nice boy at school. His name is Michael Henderson. Carlos likes him for me." She looks at me and puts one hand on my hand and leaves the other on the wheel. "Hunny you know if Carlos accepts him. Then so do I. I am ready to meet Michael whenever you're ready. Okay?" We arrived home.

I nod. "Mother?"

"Yes, honey?" We step inside our cozy, small home.

"He's rich, like filthy rich." I let her know.

"I know honey. Who isn't at your school?"

"Me," I reply.

"Honey, you shouldn't worry about that. If he likes you, then he should accept everything about you okay?" She advised me.

"Yes, mother. Thank you." I hug her.