Parents of the Revolution

Ninette's POV

My family and I sit at the dining table eating our breakfast as the servants clean up around us. This morning, Jaque and I will be telling our parents about the revolution. To say I was nervous was an understatement. However, Jaque and I felt like they needed to know and we also wished to provide our property for proper training. I glance over and Jaque, giving him a look. In return, he cleared his throat which got our parents' attention. "Mother, Father, as you know, our family has been one to be known for our large hearts for the people of France."

This statement intrigues our Father and he gently sets down his silverware and pats his face with his cloth, giving my brother a nod to continue. Jaque looks to me and I nod as well. "Well, the people of France are starting a revolution."

"Oh?"

"Y-yes....a-and..." Jaques nerves were getting the best of him, making me even more nervous.

"And?" My father says, growing impatient.

"Oh, for God's sake! We made friends with the revolutionaries and have joined their cause!" I blurt out. My hands went over my mouth in fear. My mother's jaw drops along with her silverware. I take a worried glance at my father to find him frozen. My eyes meet Jaque's and plead with my eyes for him to say something.

"Father, I know that this can be shameful to our family name, but understand that our own people are dying every day because they cannot afford even a crumb of bread. Ninette and I are loyal to the cause with every bit of our hearts. We understand if you wish to disown us...." My brother and I hang our heads low, ready to be yelled at and sent on our way.

Instead, we hear father's bellowing laughter and our eyes snap up to him. "My sweet, sweet children! You have no idea how happy this makes me." We look at him in complete confusion, especially after seeing a smile on my mother's face. After seeing our expressions, my father stands. "Come with me, I have something I need to show you."

We stand and follow our father into his study. He walks over to one of his bookshelves and reaches behind it. When he pulls his hand back, he is holding a ribbon that looks very aged. The blue exterior now faded, the red and white powdered in dust. He brought it over to us.

"Before your mother and I were married, the old king ruled and France's conditions were the same if not worse." He handed the ribbon to me and I carefully looked it over, my brother looked with me over my shoulder. "I was part of the first French Revolution. It was how I met your mother. It was successful and the old king was killed, but we tried to change the world too fast. Now, France suffers once more. I cannot be any prouder of the two of you." He says, placing a hand on each of our shoulders and giving them a squeeze.

A grin spreads on my face and I embrace him tightly. My brother with his own smile, gives our request. "Since you are for the revolution, we were wondering if we could turn a portion of our land into a training ground. Though we have some great allies in this battle, a lot of them have not seen war or even held a gun. They need serious training or else we are doomed."

I pull away from my father and look up at him. "I know it is a risk of anyone finds out, but if we are to be as successful as the last revolution, we need training."

My father thinks for a moment, then he speaks. "I believe we have enough land to spare."

A squeal leaps from my throat as I hug him again and kiss his cheek. "Thank you, Papa!"

"Bring your friends here tonight. I wish to meet them."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't stop smiling the whole way to the cafe. I greet Madam Houcheloup and pick up my tray. After a few hours, Madam calls me over to hand me the large tray of pastries. In excitement, I rush upstairs to my favorite room.