Academic Hearing

"Commander." I call once I was out of the simulation lab. "Commander Spock, sir."

He turned and looked at me, a slight coldness to his eye. "Cadet." He nods.

"I thought your test was unbeatable." I ask. "How on earth did Jim get us to pass?"

He looked over his shoulder and nodded to an empty room. I follow him in silently, watching as he closed the door behind us. "I was hoping youd maybe shed some light onto that, Cadet Fawn."

I frown. "Me? How would I know? I asked you because I have no idea."

He nodded, biting his thumb slightly. "Spock." I say quietly. "Do you really have no idea how he beat the test?"

She shook his head slightly as he sat on a desk next to me. "I do not know, T'hy'la." He said quietly.

I looked up at him, my eyes meeting his. I put a hand on top of his gently, half expecting him to pull away but he didnt. He shivered under my touch and wrapped his fingers around mine. "Spock?" I ask. "What does it mean?"

He tucked a stray hair behind my ear and leaned in. "You humans would call it a soulmate, a lover, a partner. We have no word for this other than T'hy'la. It encompasses all of those things into one."

"It means... love?" I ask.

"In a sense, it's so much more than love, Destiny. But yes, it is what you would call love."

He watched as I smile at him, quickly leaning up and kissing his cheek. His eyes fell back onto mine as I whispered in his ear "I love you, Spock."

He pressed his forehead to mine and repeated his Vulcan word that set my soul on fire. "T'hy'la..."

***** *****

I followed K'iara into the giant academic hall. All staff and students were here for something. I wished I knew why. Exactly one day ago we beat the Kobayashi Maru test with Jim as the captain. Word had spread real fast and I couldn't help but wonder if this big academic hearing was a result of the test. I sat close to the front and looked over the staff side of the room, seeing Spock sat beside the isle. K'iara followed my glance and whispered "keep it in your pants, Desti. This isnt the place to be getting frisky-"

I elbowed her hard. She grunts and I sent her a 'shut your green lips, face. She rolled her eyes with a smirk and turned to the academic panel, who were beginning to talk. "This session has been called to resolve a troubling matter. James T. Kirk, step forward."

I looked to Jim with wode eyes as he slowly stepped forwards and towards a podium. "Cadet Kirk, evidence has been submitted to this council, suggesting that you violated the ethical code of conduct pursuant to Regulation One-Seven point three of the Starfleet Code. Is there anything you care to say before we begin, sir? "

"Yes, I believe I have the right to face my accuser directly." Jim asked. I gulped, it couldn't be anyone else but Spock, could it?

K'iara took hold of my arm when Spock stood up. "Step forward, please. This is Commander Spock. He's one of our most distinguished graduates. He's programmed the Kobayashi Maru exam for the last four years. Commander?"

Spock walked towards Jim, my heart beating in my mouth. "Cadet Kirk, you somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine to the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test."

"Your point being? "

The head of the council looked down at him. "In academic vernacular, you cheated."

"Let me ask you something, I think we all know the answer to. The test itself is a cheat, isn't it? You programmed it to be unwinnable." Jim asked.

Spock folded him arms behind his back. " Your argument precludes the possibility of a no-win scenario. "

" I don't believe in no-win scenarios. "

"Then, not only did you violate the rules, you also failed to understand the principle lesson. "

"Please, enlighten me. "

"You of all people should know, Cadet Kirk. A Captain cannot cheat death. "

K'iara whispered him my ear. "Is he seriously bringing this us?"

"What?" I hiss.

"Jim's dad, he died saving his crew." She hissed back to me. I looked on with wide eyes, watching Jim and Spock.

" I of all people. "

"Your father, Lieutenant George Kirk, assumed command of his vessel before being killed in action, did he not? "

"I don't think you like the fact that I beat your test? "

"Furthermore, you have failed to divine the purpose of the test. "

Jim raised an eyebrow at him. "Enlighten me again. "

"The purpose is to experience fear. Fear in the face of certain death. To accept that fear, and maintain control of oneself and one's crew. This is a quality expected in every Starfleet captain."

Just then, someone headed to he desk, holding a PADD. I looked to K'iara as the air inside the hall grew thicker as he read the PADD. Then, he looked up at all of us, a look of despair slightly registering on his face. "We've received a distress call from Vulcan. With our primary fleet engaged in the Laurentian system, I hereby order all cadets to report to Hangar One immediately. Dismissed."

"K'iara." I hiss as she didn't move from her seat. "K'iara come on, this is what we've trained for."

"Desti, we're still cadets." She hissed as I dragged her from her chair and towards the doors. "We should NOT be going to Vulcan-"

"YES we should." I glare.

"Just because your boyfriends from Vulcan doesn't mean we should all be risking our lives for his people-"

"K'iara!" I glare. "If it was your planet I'd do the same. Spock being Vulcan has nothing to do with it. Youre a medic, K'iara. This is what you've been waiting for."

She breathed out slightly and looked up at me. "Okay... Okay you're right. Lets go." I linked my arm through hers and headed to the hanger bay with the hoards of other Cadets...