chapter 19

I walked into the house, and the warmth of the familiar place immediately enveloped me. Serena was lounging on the couch with Nikolai, the two of them engrossed in whatever was on TV. As soon as she noticed me, Serena's face lit up with a smile.

"Sapphire, you're here!" she exclaimed, standing up and walking over to me. I smiled back and hugged her tightly, though a part of me was still anxious.

"Oh, you've put on a little weight," Serena remarked with a playful wink, and my eyes widened as I quickly stepped back, trying to mask my nervousness. I waved at Nikolai, who responded with a nod, his attention mostly still on the TV.

"Um... where's Isabella?" I asked, my voice a bit shaky, nervous that Serena might have figured out my secret. Serena pointed upstairs, and I nodded, hurrying towards the stairs, my heart pounding.

"Careful, Sapphire. We wouldn't want anyone getting hurt," Serena whispered, a knowing tone in her voice that made me sigh. Maybe coming here was a mistake. Serena probably already knew I was pregnant, but I couldn't risk her telling Logan.

Stopping in front of Isabella's door, I knocked lightly, and it immediately swung open.

"Sapphire! I missed you!" Isabella squealed, wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug. She dragged me into her room and closed the door behind us.

"I missed you too, Bella," I said, smiling as she sat down on her bed, beaming at me.

"Something looks a little different about you," she remarked, her eyes narrowing as she studied me.

"What are you talking about?" I mumbled, looking away, trying to avoid her gaze.

"Yeah, you've put on a little weight, and you've got that glow," she continued, standing up and walking over to me.

"Wow, your room is beautiful," I said quickly, trying to change the subject, my eyes darting around the room.

"Sapphire, don't try to change the topic. You're hiding something," Isabella said, folding her arms across her chest, her tone serious.

I rolled my eyes, trying to play it off, but then she said it, her voice low and sure. "You're pregnant."

I gasped, panic shooting through me. "What! No, I'm not pregnant, Bella," I said, faking a laugh as I sat down on her bed, nervously playing with my fingers.

"You're lying, Sapphire. I've been pregnant before. I know what it looks like," she said, her voice softening as she sat down beside me.

"Fine, I am pregnant, but please don't tell anyone, especially Logan," I whispered, my voice breaking a little as I admitted it.

"Wait, you haven't told him yet?" Isabella asked, her eyes wide with surprise.

"No. He doesn't want kids, and I don't know how he's going to react when I tell him. Maybe he'll get angry," I confessed, tears welling up in my eyes. Isabella put a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone," she promised, giving me a reassuring smile.

"Ever since Christy got here, he's been really mean to me. He hurts my feelings all the time," I whispered, looking down at my fingers. "I wish the babies weren't his. If they were Adonis's, I would feel better."

"Did you say babies? And Adonis?" Isabella's eyes widened as she squealed, trying to keep her voice down. "You're having twins?" she whispered excitedly, and I nodded, a small smile tugging at my lips.

"Adonis is my best friend, and he treats me really well. He even talks to the babies," I told her, feeling a little lighter just saying it out loud.

"Maybe if you told Logan, he would treat you better. He's not a monster, you know. He's pretty sweet," Isabella said, but I shook my head, fear gripping my heart.