29. The Ambassador

He sat reclined at his desk, his feet up with the papers, a cluttered desk for a cluttered mind. He remained lost in thought, tossing the ring in the air and catching it again in his hand. It was gold, ornately decorated, an ever present reminder of the promise his life once seemed to hold. Up it went, a flash of light, ascending only to return to his palm again with a similar flashing of brightness.

'I wonder how he felt once he realized that I had figured it out all that time ago, that time that does constrain us. In constant, I am thankful for that, also, the time was not wasted. Still, Adrien, would you have killed me if you'd had the chance? I wonder.' He watched the ring fly up, falling again into his hand, and he sighed. 'My only hope is that he isn't trying to acquit himself of that which is forgiven.'

He paused as he heard the footsteps approaching, and he caught the ring in his palm. 'There isn't a soul I was expecting...'

"Mr. Waverley, are you around?" the question came from the hall around the corner. "I'd like to talk to you about something."

He took the ring, returning it hastily to his vest pocket. "Avera, I'm here in the office," he called out after her.

She quickly appeared in the doorway and entered the room, coming up to the front of his desk. "Please, have a seat," he offered kindly, motioning to the chairs on either side of her.

She shook her head. "No, that's alright. I'll stand."

He looked to the chair positioned behind her. It was covered in a jacket, some books, and other objects. He jumped up, embarrassed. "On second thought, you can have my seat! Please... I-I'm sorry." He hung his head. 'First rate hospitality, Mr. Webber, as always.' He sighed.

Avera chuckled. "No, thank you, Mr. Waverley. You're kind enough. Ben and Dorothy warned me about your organizational tendencies. Really, it's fine. I've been sitting all day, and I'd rather stand, if I may."

"Very well," he nodded with a warm smile, "so long as you're comfortable. I will sit, if you're not opposed?"

"Not at all."

"Thank you," he said, returning to his chair. "So," he continued, pulling the chair in closer, "what is it I can do for you?"

"I read in a book," she began, curiously watching him, "about a man appointed by the Council as an ambassador to Pyre. While in Pyre he endured much hardship. Still, he was faithful to his charge. I thought the book was old. I thought that it told stories of a faraway time. Then, I saw something that changed my mind about it. It was a photograph taken at the dedication of a library, the same library where I met Benjamin in the ruins. In the photograph, I saw Justice, Kypher, and Blackridge standing side by side with Casper, Ramus, and Stephan. Sebastian was there, too, with his apprentice and the Ambassador beside them."

He listened to her closely, but his mind stopped, and had no words. He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the desk and his mouth on his folded fingers. His eyes watched her. He couldn't have looked away if he had tried to. He was far too invested.

"The Ambassador was a man from Delphi, as you are. He wore dark rimmed glasses, like you do," she said, and paused as if considering whether to wait or speak further.

He watched her with some mild concern, considering silently deep within himself whether there were any words with which to respond, but he had none.

"He was a good friend of the Seer," she added, "and a better friend of his apprentice, I think."

He closed his eyes as he lowered his head and sighed. "Avera, would you kindly bolt the door for me?" he solemnly requested.

"Of... course. Which...?"