74. The Caravan

She had never seen so many people from so many diverse regions, paths, and occupations. Even in Pyre, there had never been such unity among the people, despite the government's efforts to make everyone the same. Here, it was different. There was something more genuine, and Avera knew that she liked it much better than Zephyr's form of unity among men.

There was work going on to bury the dead there in Elkshire, which Jordan oversaw. Together, many of the men labored to dig the graves and transport the bodies of the people. For the most part, there was a communal grave prepared for all of them, but the bodies of the representatives were laid aside and each was given its own place out of reverence for the regions.

Benjamin went out to meet the people as they came from north and south and west to gather in the far east of the kingdom, and Avera had gone out with him, watching as he welcomed the weary travelers with love and warmth. After some time of this, she had noticed a significant lack of people from Laoce when a caravan from the southwest came with horses and carts so full of such generous supplies that it would put even the people of Tyra to shame, though all the kingdom knew of their great charity and readiness in service.

They came and laid a multitude of maurium raiment down before their prince, removing their own cloaks of maurium, also, and laying them on the ground before Benjamin.

"My lord," said the man who led them with sorrowful eyes, "forgive us, all we have are these, but, perhaps, you have more fitting garments that you may count us for your service."

Benjamin looked on them in their humility and smiled. "I'll take care of it for you," he mercifully assured them, and he called for Eliezer to assist him.

Then, the two men cast fire down upon the plentiful piles of silver garments; Avera watched in awe and the men from Laoce marveled as the maurium they which they had brought was transformed before their eyes to the pure and glistening white of pyrite.

The men from Laoce bowed themselves with their heads brought low, and again their headman said, "My lord, if it be pleasing to you, let these be taken and given to others, also. For, we have brought many garments out of our great abundance of maurium that your people may be clothed in white and we be relieved of our lack."

Benjamin nodded, agreeing to the request of the men from Laoce. "Avera," he said, "would you help us unload?"

She nodded with a smile. "Yes, of course," she said, and the three of them assisted the people of the caravan in their unpacking of linens and goods to be committed to the King's service.

Still, she wondered how he could accept them so freely.

'After all that Mr. DelMont did to subvert and offend us, would he welcome these people from Laoce with open arms and gladness? Might they not turn also and offend us in the fight?'

Benjamin looked at her with knowing eyes as he grabbed a pack of garments from the cart as they unloaded. "You're awfully quiet," he commented, casually observing her mood.

"Am I?" she answered blankly. He already knew if he was asking, but she tried to put him off anyway.

"Yes," he said, giving her a look of suspicion. "Is everything alright?" he asked again.

'Why does he always have to leave me room to answer things he already knows? No, Ben. It's not okay? Alright? I'm bothered. I'm scared and I'm offended, but you know that. So, why do you have to ask me?'

"Yes, fine," she lied to cover her feelings, though she knew it was futile to attempt.

He dropped the ream of fabrics back on the wooden oxcart with a bang, pressing it down with his hand, and gave her a serious glance with his amber eyes.

"These people aren't DelMont," he told her sternly. "Did you not see them when they came?" he asked. His words were filled with a passionate care. "Did DelMont kneel before me? Did he bow when I came? Did he lend a thing for my care or levy my cause? Did he give a scrap to my need of his abundance? No, but these people have. They have bowed themselves down before me. They have come in humility and rallied to my cause. They have taken all they have and presented it before me to be committed to my service as an offering and to supply for the needs of my people. If DelMont had opened the door, I would have gone in and supped with him as surely as I would Jordan, but he didn't. These people have. They've come a long way to help us, and I will not turn them away."

Avera nodded slowly with consideration, her eyes falling as his words cut her heart with the knowledge of right. "Ben, I..." she tried to speak but couldn't. The weight of his gaze was too heavy for her tender spirit.

"Hey, Avera..." he said softly, his countenance changing to one more light and comfortingly as he moved to touch her face, "I don't mean that as a condemnation." He smiled, lifting her head with an affectionate gaze. "I take you the same," he told her, "and every part of you is lovely."

She looked at him, her sadness disappearing, and her face broke into a small grin as she caught his amber eyes glowing with a loving concern. She thought back on the time since they had met and realized that he had showed her the same merciful patience.

'How is he always so kind to me? Even when I ran, he came to save me at the risk of his own life. Still, I...'

"Ben, why do you care?" she asked him, overwhelmed by the love he had exhibited.

"It's my job to care," he said, "but, more than that, it is my heart to care. I think you are most definitely to be desired."

Avera watched his eyes closely, almost not believing him, but she knew his words were genuine. "I ran from you, but you came after me," she reminded him, trying to make sense of the reason.

"Of course," he said with a smile. "You're worth chasing after... and so are they," he added, giving a nod to the people as they laid down their maurium to be changed. "Do you understand me?" he asked her. His manner was soft and delicate towards her as he spoke.

"I do," she said, her eyes straying to the gentle touch of his fingers as they lightly stroked her tender skin.

Benjamin nodded. "Good," he said. "Then, help me unpack the rest of these fabrics."

Avera nodded. "Ben," she said, calling his attention back away from the supplies of the wagon. "Thank you," she added, wanting to convey her gratitude in feeling.

He smiled at her fondly, "Of course."