47. Time

'Ben

'Ben...'

She sat on her heels with her back against the wall and her eyes watching the ceiling. Kypher stood across from her, leaning against the wall with his face serious, arms crossed, and head down. There was a door to her left through which Justice had entered and behind which Eliezer still slept. Ellis and Mira had gone to make ready some provisions for their eventual, seemingly inevitable journey to somewhere, and Avera had elected to assist the Wells in their preparations, which both Dorcus and Kypher had agreed was probably for the best.

Kypher's eyes strayed over to Dorcus, the two having long remained in silence. "You know, if you wanted to go in, I don't think Justice would mind it," he told her, his words being quickly dismissed by his female charge.

"I'm quite comfortable here, thank you," she said with a quiet brusqueness.

"Right..." Kypher said, a little taken aback by the curtness of her reply. "Uh... sorry."

Dorcus sighed. "No... I'm sorry, Alexander," she told him. "I know you mean well, but... it's just..." her words stopped but her mind kept on.

'...all much more complex than that, and... I think, at times, that we're all just a little more human than we would like to admit, also.'

His eyes watched her with curious interest, and he opened his mouth to say something, but the two were interrupted by the sound of footsteps. Both turned to face the direction of the noise as it progressed, Kypher drawing his sword and Dorcus rising to her feet. He stepped in front of her, putting his arm out to protect her from any unforeseen dangers.

'Thank you, Alexander.' She smiled faintly. 'I know you would have stayed with Benjamin, but... I do appreciate your constant valor.'

Two figures rounded the corner, appearing at the end of the hall, and their eyes lightened to see them.

Dorcus was awestruck. "Adrien," she said, smiling thankfully.

"And Benjamin with him!" Kypher proclaimed, sporting a triumphant grin. "Well done. Well done!" He dropped his arm and sheathed his saber. "Adrien Blackridge, I haven't been so happy to see someone in the better part of an hour!"

Adrien laughed. "Well, you know what they say, Kypher - timing is everything and mine stinks! Fortunately, I have someone to make it up for me."

"Nobody says that!" Kypher laughingly protested.

"Well..." Dorcus interjected, "I've never heard it from anyone else, but Eliezer does, anyway."

Kypher shook his head. "I knew it... you're all crazy."

"Now, Captain," Adrien teased in overstated formal address, "I hereby present to your lordship the honorable prince, Benjamin Caliphus, and do henceforth commit him to your charge." He bowed deeply with exaggerated form, whirling his arm around in a broad swooping motion before Benjamin.