69. Come See Us

Eliezer and Dorcus sent for Samuel by letter, and Adrien carried it faithfully to Rivdul for them, placing the sealed letter into the hands of the friendly farmer

It was nearly a decade ago that Samuel Garner had gone to Pyre to visit his brother at High Palace, and it was during his trip that he had stopped in at the North Pyre Kingsmen Congregation for a service. There, Eliezer had renewed acquaintance and befriended him under the guise of his false identity. Eliezer wasn't sure how much Samuel knew or whether he had recognized him at the time. Still, he had insisted on taking him to his favorite flower shop, and Samuel cried when he saw his sister. So, they had spoken through letters since that day.

Through the letters, they had learned that Sam had passed the years as a farmer in their family's hometown. He had repurchased his father's land and spent his time there growing wheat, among other things. Samuel's letters had a tendency to be long, addressing many of life's questions and happenings in great detail.

The return letters were often considerably shorter and lacking in detail outside of matters of theology Pyrean business practices. Certainly, they never said a word of their lives outside the city, but this last letter was different. They wrote in great detail of what had happened in Elkshire and of their delight at his continued communications throughout the many years. The final portion of the letter was an invitation, one which they had finished with a long awaited phrase: come see us.

Eliezer was working in the office with Dorcus again watching over his shoulder late one afternoon as the golden light streamed through the window behind them. He was deep in thought, mulling over the product of a finished chapter when there came a knocking at the door.

He looked up, startled, and set the papers down on the desk.

Dorcus was watching him. "Do you suppose that's Sam?" she asked him.

"That is who I would hope it to be, yes, but, supposing it's not," he said, looking over at her with soft and caring eyes, "I would prefer that you stay here while I go check."

Dorcus came closer and wrapped her arms around her companion's neck, pressing her face into his hair. "Very well," she said, still holding onto him.

Eliezer tilted his head back, looking up into her beautiful blue eyes with a grin. The love in her eyes rivaled that of his own, and his heart surged with the consideration of her affections.

"My dear, sweet lady," he said, "your brother is waiting for me."

She smiled, landing on his cheek a gentle kiss. "Better let him in, then," she said, releasing him to go.

At the door stood a brown haired man with emerald green eyes and a short cut beard. He was dressed in a simple cotton shirt and worn out trousers.

"Eliezer Webber!" the man said as if amazed, and he offered a friendly smile.