66. Different Sort of People

Avera had wondered how a cabin built for one man with the hopes of an eventual family would properly accommodate all twelve of the people in their growing party. Apparently, that was a question which had entered the minds of some others, also, because Ignatius had run after them, stopping Webber before he had led them far from the old man's humble homestead.

"Eliezer!" Ignatius called after them as he rapidly approached.

Eliezer stopped, turning back to face his friend. "Yes, Ignatius, what is it?" he answered kindly.

"Pard'n!" the man called out with an air of rushed apology. "Pard'n," he said again, catching his breath as he stopped behind them with his hands holding his knees. "Let a few stay at my place, Eliezer, I beg of ye," the man replied breathily, straightening up a bit.

"Ignatius, it is not needed. I would not make such a demand on you," Eliezer answered him.

But Ignatius insisted. "Eliezer," he said, "yer place is small, much too tiny fer twelve. Please, my friend, yer pard'n that I din't offer it sooner. Let some stay with me."

"Very well," Eliezer graciously consented, bowing his head for a moment. "Take with you Dorcus, Benjamin, and the Carders," Eliezer thoughtfully suggested. "Let the others stay with me."

"No, sir," Ignatius replied, and she saw the surprise on Eliezer's face at the unanticipated response. "Give me the married folk. I have extra bedrooms for 'em. And two more. I have more space than you have."

"Very well," Eliezer said again, appearing slightly perplexed, "take those, then, which you request, but take Dorcus and Benjamin with you, also."

"No, sir," Ignatius said again, causing a glint of concern to enter Eliezer's moonlit eyes. "The prince should have a guard. Elsewise, it wouldn't be proper."

"As you wish," Eliezer responded with patience and kindhearted skepticism. "Then let Benjamin come with us and you may take Adrien."

"No, sir," Ignatius said again, and Eliezer's eyes fixed on him intently. "But such a fine swordsman should stay with his prince."

"Would you not have your own guard, then?" Eliezer inquired of him, his eyes lit like burning coals.

"Oh, I would, I would," Ignatius replied. "It's only..." he let his words trail off.

Eliezer's face was somewhere between amusement and displeasure. "What, dear sir, would you suggest?" he asked, his voice flat and words overly annunciated as a faint smile crossed his face and his eyes slightly softened.

"Well, now... supposin', just supposin', ye were ta take Dorcus," Ignatius said, causing Jordan to burst into a fit of unrestrained laughter.

Eliezer hung his head, clenching his teeth in a grudging grin and let out an exasperated sigh. "Right. Right, yes... let's suppose," he muttered quietly with some passing vexation.

"So, then... I'll take Vanguard, Kypher, and the married folks, and ye can keep the rest. How's that?" Ignatius suggested, seeming quite pleased with himself.

"I'm afraid it's unavoidable," Eliezer responded with a faint chuckle and a shake of his head.

"That it is!" Ignatius triumphantly proclaimed, grinning gloriously.

Avera smiled with curious amusement.

'I have heard that Delphians tend to argue over courtesy, but this is a little much. Maybe it's not really a matter of courtesy, then. Maybe it's something else.'

She thought back, remembering the way in which Dorcus had acted when she had returned with Webber to the ruins and the way in which he had zealously guarded her rest to the point of his own embarrassment.