42. The Raven

He felt a pain pierce through his back and deep into his chest, nearly knocking him from the blue roan horse he rode

He felt a pain pierce through his back and deep into his chest, nearly knocking him from the blue roan horse he rode. He grunted as he fell forward, one arm grabbing at his aching body and the other at the horse's muscular neck.

'Mm... that should have been me, shouldn't it?' He steadied himself, centering back on the borrowed saddle. 'Well, Marcus, I would have liked to have more appropriately thanked you, but I will do my best to satisfy your request.'

On he rode through the scattered trees of the eastern wood until he reached the sight of a familiar face.

'Dorcus.'

He let out a relieved sigh.

She stood beside a tree with her horse, a dapple gray, looking on at him as he approached. He slowed the horse and called it to a halt.

She watched him through soulful eyes. "You're late," she said as he dismounted, her hands on her hips.

His face wore a soft smile. "Oh, am I now? My apologies," he said humbly, coming around his horse to meet her. "I was detained," he jokingly reminded her.

Dorcus grinned. "Eliezer," she chuckled politely with a slight shake of her head. Her eyes were alight with the bright sun of the afternoon.

"I spoke with your brother," he told her.

"Which? Marcus?" she quickly asked with utmost interest.

He nodded.

She took a breath. "How was he?" she asked hopefully.

"Remorseful," he told her. His voice was soft and gentle, brimming with kindness. "He's very proud of you."

"Is that so?" her eyes began to water. "Well... I'm glad to hear it," she muttered quietly.

"It was Marcus who released me," he added with a comforting smile. "He helped me to escape and provided me with a horse."

He reached his hand back to pet the able bodied stallion.

She smiled, offering a quick nod as tears began to roll down her cheeks.

'I know she has been concerned for him. That's why I know this is a joy to her, a blessed release... no matter how tearful. When Adrien wrote us of Marcus and his advancement in the military, it was the first we knew of him working for Ramus and his government. She was heartbroken. Ever since that day, she has cried for him. Perhaps this can be the last time.'

"Is that all, then?" she inquired of him softly.

"He sends his love, and..." he stopped himself from speaking.

'No, I won't mention that. Not now.'

"And?" she looked at him with heartfelt curiosity.

He sighed. "He made a request of me, also, but it's... bad... timing," his words fell away as he spoke.