Epilogue: Long Overdue

Eliezer stood before the mirror in the cramped washroom, carefully guiding the straight blade razor across the skin of his cheek, and he watched as the bristly grey hairs of his face wafted down into the sink in front of him

It was the day before that they had finished tidying up the rubble and holding the last of the trials, and so this day marked a very special occasion, because this was the day upon which they would begin the reconstruction of the capital... and the kingdom, the reconstruction of which brought with it many things, including the promise of a new life.

He put down the razor once he had finished and touched the smooth skin of his face as he stared into the mirror, considering himself, the man he was and the time he had lost. He looked into his orangey-brown eyes, removing his hand from his face, and took a deep breath in as he was confronted with his own image.

'It's time.'

He turned to the sight of Adrien Blackridge, his towering figure filling the doorway as he leaned silently against it, watching him.

"Shaving, Ambassador?" he asked him, his eyes gleaming with a curious interest.

Eliezer smiled, "Yes, I thought it might be time for that."

Adrien smiled back at him, shaking his head. "It's long overdue," the former mage corrected.

Eliezer laughed, unable to keep the joy inside of him as it bubbled up with excitement from his core. "Perhaps it is," he grinningly admitted, "but I'll take care of it today."

The two went together through the library halls to the place where the others were gathered, and there they found Dorcus giving direction to some of the servants.

Eliezer felt his heart leap at the sight of her, and he froze, admiring the loveliness of the woman in the midst of the room and its activities.

'Dorcus...'

He felt his stomach flutter, and he couldn't hold himself back from smiling, his face alight and his heart burning.

Adrien took a look at him and grabbed his shoulder with an amused smile. "Go on," he whispered, urging his friend to action, "she's waiting for you!"

Eliezer took a deep breath and pulled the ring from his vest pocket, slipping it into his palm without a glance, his eyes fixed on his beloved friend. Still, he paused, remaining as an admiring stranger from across the room until Adrien gave him a firm pat on the back, pushing him forward.

He walked over to the slender lady, paying little mind to the others as he passed both friends and servants, new and old. Again, he took a deep breath as he paused just outside of her reach, his heart beating rapidly in the form of a nervous flutter, and he cleared his throat.

"Dorcus," he said, lightly tapping her shoulder with his fingers.

"Eliezer, just a minute," she said without turning. "There are several things which still need to be done for Benjamin's renewal project, preparations to be made, and all by tomorrow," she went on, preoccupied with the people and their quiet demands. "There are so many people here still in need of direction, and I—" she turned to face him as she sent the last of the workmen on his way and cut herself short at the sight of his appearance. "Eliezer," she said, startled.

"Miss Garner," he said, smiling fondly as he quoted his own words from a memory of a time so long ago, "I had hoped that I might talk with you a moment."

Her eyes stared at him, the quivering black of her pupils like portals back across time, remembering the cottage and the many years of great remorse endured by each of them. She remained silent, stunned by his words, and he felt compelled to say something to spur the conversation along.

"If it isn't a bad time," he added softly.

Dorcus shook her head, teary eyed. "No," she said, her voice quietly trembling. "No, your timing is perfect," she confessed. "It's always been perfect."

"Are you sure?" he asked, looking on her flushed face and longing to touch her.

"Yes," she nodded, struggling to withhold her emotions. "Yes."

His emotions were flooding his being, taking over even his mind, and he could think to think nothing at all. He sighed, considering her in all of her hopefulness and anxious anticipation. He felt his chest tightening as his heart yearned to pull her in and comfort her, but he refrained, keenly aware of how inappropriate the others would find it.

He took her hands gently in his and smiled lovingly at her. "Sweet lady, you are my dearest friend," he said, beginning softly the address which he had prepared for her so long before, "and I love you. I've always loved you, and from the moment my eyes met you, you were beautiful in my sight. All my heart is yours. It always has been. And, with your permission, it always will be. You are my joy and my delight, and there is no one I would rather spend my life with or covenant to love. Dorcus, I love you, and I would like it very much if you were to marry me."

Her face lit with a broad grin as her cheeks glowed a brilliant rose and she nodded emphatically. "Yes, Eliezer. Yes," she said, losing her composure as tears fell down her cheeks, "I would like that very much, as well."

He allowed her shaking hands to slip from his and took the gold ring from his palm. "Good," he said with an affectionate grin as he slid the beautifully engraved metal carefully over her outstretched finger. He interlocked his fingers with hers, their hands pressed together as one, and he looked into her sparkling eyes. "I love you," he told her, confessing the words of his heart with a deeply felt passion.

"And I you," she replied with humble affection.

He smiled at her, gently shaking his head in mild disbelief. "My dear, you are the most lovely spirit of anyone by far."

Dorcus giggled, lowering her head in embarrassed flattery. "My dear Mr. Webber," she laughed lightly, "you know that my heart is yours already. There is no need to repurchase it ."

He sighed, considering her with a rapidly beating heart of sweetest affection, and he released her hand to wrap his arms around her, pulling her in gently to himself. She received well the advance, resting her head tenderly on his chest, and he felt the weight of her on his heart.

'My dear, sweet lady...'

He nestled his nose into her hair and closed his eyes, enjoying her love and nearness. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you, Eliezer," Dorcus replied softly.

At the time when he finally released her from his grasp, Eliezer became suddenly keenly aware of the crowded room which stood staring at them, and as he and she looked out with a rush of embarrassment, their faces changing quickly to a bright red, the room erupted into hardy applause led by Jordan, who pronounced with an ear splitting grin that it was, in his opinion, about time.

So, Eliezer turned and kissed his beloved one's cheek before raising his hand and offering a bashful wave to the joyous onlookers.

'Yes, it is long past time, but somehow in good timing. Such is the mystery of life. Now, supposing in our setbacks, in our trials, tears, and disappointments that it is all part of the divine puzzle which ushers us on to a more glorious end and the life for which we were created, a life of blessing, one of triumph. With that in mind, I think that those things aren't such setbacks to us after all. Instead, they are bringing us to our proper place wherein we fit with all of our worn and crafted edges. In that case, it would be the divine planning of our King and obedience to his call which guides us. And in that we may, at all times, in every season, maintain this great confidence: that all is well. No matter the cost, we know in following after the voice and calling of our King that it is, indeed, well with us. There will be a day when the king will return to us and all that we hold dear will be restored to us in a glorified state, but until that day, there is this promise of the life which we now live and very much enjoy.'