60. Peacetime Proclamation

His words seemed of little help to his friend, and Eliezer struggled to think what could be done for the man from Delphi to comfort him.

'Jordan... please, cheer up. All is not lost.'

There was a knock at the door. He looked to the door and then again to Jordan, who was still quite depressed and entirely despondent.

'I had better be the one to get that.'

Phia was cooking dinner for them, and, given Jordan's present state, he thought it best that he shouldn't be the one to answer, either.

He motioned to Dorcus, silently indicating that she should stay put for the time, and she nodded, seeming to understand.

'So long as she is safe... what is my life?'

Benjamin had gone over to see the others in the guest house, leaving only the four of them together in the residence, and Eliezer was thankful for it. If this visitor was not favorable to them, at the very least he could take comfort in knowing that the life of the prince was not in peril.

He touched Dorcus's arm delicately in passing, and her hand grabbed him. He stopped, and their eyes met as she prevented him. Her grey-blue eyes pleaded with him with a passionate concern, and his heart restrained him.

"All is well, my dear," he whispered as he raised his hand to gently cup her cheek and smiled at her lovingly.

There was another knock at the door, and he turned again anxiously towards it before his attentions returned to the woman who held the arm of his suit jacket.

"Now, I ask, dear lady... let me go," he quietly implored her, his eyes searching her soulful gaze.

Her hand released him, and his smile renewed. There was a warmth in his heart which only she could ignite, and he kindled it, lightly kissing her cheek as he brushed the soft skin of her face with his fingertips.

"Thank you," he told her softly in earnest.

They had taken care not to let anyone know where they were staying or that Jordan Carder was in any way involved, saying only that they had a place and had been duly accommodated.

'It shouldn't be difficult to explain why I'm here, if need be... particularly with the vote having been today and he being the Chairman.'

"Hello," he said, pulling open the door.

"Hell-oh! Ambassador Webber!" said the young man with a voice of unexpected happiness.

"Ah," he smiled.

'All's well, indeed.'

"Representative McFarland! What a pleasant surprise. Please, come in," he said, beckoning him into the Carders' Elkshire home.

"Ah, thank you," Gregory replied. "Actually," he went on talking excitedly as he entered into the house, "I am quite glad to see you're here already. I had planned to see you next, and I might have seen you first had I known where to find you."

Eliezer shut the door, and McFarland was turned nearly entirely around talking to him, reticently walking almost backwards into the living room.

"I have an idea, you see!" the representative form Asrymn explained with his usual quiet intensity, his attentions focused solely on the ambassador.

There was a glint of anticipation in his bright blue eyes, and Eliezer smiled, glancing over at Dorcus. She had a look of joyous amusement on her face as her eyes met his with a renewed glimmer of hope.

'Yes, it is refreshing to see such impassioned commitment and service, isn't it, my dear?'

"Won't you come in, Mr. McFarland?" Eliezer said with a smile. "We should all very much like to discuss it, and the living room is only a few feet."