36. Men of Weakness

Eliezer watched as the grand courtroom began to fill with people

Eliezer watched as the grand courtroom began to fill with people. He stood at the front of the room behind a partition which came to about the height of his waist with a guard set at either side. He scanned the sea of faces, passively watching the entrance for Benjamin. There were rows of benches throughout the room with people standing behind and a balcony above from which the citizens could observe the proceedings.

He saw Benjamin and Avera as they entered, escorted by a red haired officer, his helmet tucked away beneath his arm.

'Marcus?'

He watched in silence and closed his eyes to stop himself from following as they went. He lowered his head and took a breath of air.

'Well, he always did have a way of finding himself in the most intriguing circumstances.'

He glanced over past the partition to his right. Adrien Blackridge was standing near him with Demetrius Kallida and Alhor Zahaynei farther off. He scanned the crowd again, relocating Benjamin. He and Avera were left standing behind the last row of benches. He looked to Adrien, catching his eye, then to Benjamin again. Adrien's eyes followed him, and he gave a discreet nod.

Kallida was monitoring the room. He held in his hand rolled sheets of parchment. He called an officer over and whispered something to him.

"Yes, right away, sir," the man replied bowing himself before he hurried away. Kallida's eyes were stayed on the man intently, and Eliezer could only surmise that he must have taken some interest in Benjamin.

'I'll have to do something. The boy does bear a remarkable resemblance to his father.'

Eliezer squinted, keeping his eyes on Benjamin. "Say, who is that man there?" he asked.

'No games, Demetrius... none but mine.'

"The red haired man in the last row seated with the light haired damsel?" Blackridge asked, playing along.

"No," Kallida corrected with minor irritation. "The man in the glasses, the one with the crest on his tie."

"Oh, yes," Blackridge said, peering over at Benjamin. "Interesting fellow."

"Quite," Kallida said. "He looks like Caper's ghost. That or his son," he added, casting a warning glance at Eliezer. "I don't know who he is, but I soon will. I have sent a man to inquire for me."

Kallida's man returned quickly, handing him a small slip of paper. Kallida's eyes scanned the page rapidly and his countenance changed as he read it, flooding with anger.

"Is something wrong, Demetrius?" Eliezer asked him.

"You," Kallida breathed in furious anger. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath of air to calm himself. He flicked the paper with annoyance. "Benjamin Palmer," he announced, glaring at him. "He's your bookkeeper." He glanced at Benjamin, then at Blackridge before his eyes settled on Webber once again.