Chapter 19: Nice Surprise

Recap:

Now that I'm alone, I couldn't help to think about what Pietro may be doing with Lucinda. It's late afternoon, they must be done with lunch, right? What's taking them so long? That moment when Lucinda run her hands along Pietro's shoulders flashed in my mind. Pietro must be enjoying her company a lot, maybe they're doing something else and not lunch. I quickly dismissed the thought.

This is just a fake engagement, Adrienne. No need to get carried away with your emotions. That kiss meant nothing.

God that kiss! One thing's for sure, Pietro is a great kisser. I'm not naive when it comes to these things, but why did it make me feel so weak in the knees? He kissed me with such intensity that made me forget he was just pretending and when he ran his hands through my body, my thoughts gone haywire.

I'm convinced, Pietro isn't good for my sanity and my broken heart.

With that thought in mind, I feel asleep on Pietro's bed.

---------------------------------------------------

Continuation:

Pietro's POV:

The lunch with Lucinda was okay, I guess. We chatted for a bit and she basically told me how her life had been since they moved away and how much she missed me. The entire time, my thoughts were on Adrienne. I don't want her to get the wrong idea. Honestly I'm not sure either why I agreed to go with Lucinda. I knew it was a mistake to leave her at home when I couldn't even focus without her beside me.

I'm not sure if Lucinda sensed my disinterest, because she then asked us to get some drinks right after. She wouldn't take no for an answer, but luckily my assistant, Linda called me about a project I'm working on. It's nothing urgent, but I find that it's a good excuse to get away from Lucinda.

She made me promise we'll go out again some other time and I just said yes without meaning to. I dropped her to her apartment before I went on my way to the office.

I got hooked up on work as usual, I didn't realize the time and before I knew it, it was already late at night.

I finished off what I was doing, grabbed my things and drove home. I can't wait to see Adrienne. I hope she's still up, maybe we can spend some time before she goes to bed.

When I got home, I was surprised to find my mother still there, but dressed to sleep. I got confused for a moment if I was in my penthouse or my mother's home.

"Pietro, why are you coming home just now? I was beginning to worry. Where have you been? Lucinda said you dropped her off hours ago." My mother ranted.

I was hoping to find Adrienne in my penthouse, not my mother, specially this late at night. I didn't dare to voice out my sentiments. Instead I hugged her and kissed her check. "What are you doing here, madre?"

"I'm here to make sure you're taking care of my soon to be daughter in law. Your father is convincing me to come home, but now I'm convinced you need me here."

What the hell does she mean?

She may have heard my thoughts because she continued to explain. "I'm planning to stay over for a few days. I need to make sure you don't mess things up with Adrienne. I like her."