Chapter 2

I trudge next to the man that found me, pondering my decision to join this group. As I walk, I feel as if I should run again, back into the safety and seclusion of the woods. I glance back behind me.

"You ain't running." The man next to me gruffly claims, hoisting his crossbow higher on his shoulder. I roll my eyes trying to hide my smile.

"I don't even know your name and you're giving me orders?" I tease, raising my eyebrows slightly.

"I'm Daryl, now I expect an introduction from you as well."

"Sarah." I reply, focusing ahead of me.

"Why the hell are you alone?" I turn my head to him, my lips dropping into a frown.

"I can handle myself if you can't tell." I counter. He returns my stare, cold and hard and full of hostility. He shakes his head slightly before turning away. The only thing I can hear is the crunch of our boots. Rustling comes behind us from the trees and both of us turn around. Daryl raises his crossbow, and I pull the knife from my belt. A walker staggers out, hissing and growling at us. I don't even let him say anything as I walk up to the disgusting creature, sending my knife through the skull with as much force as I can muster. It drops, silence looming over us. I shove my knife into my belt loops before I turn to Daryl with a smile.

"Let's go." He looks at me almost in awe as I walk past him towards the familiar sight of the woods I was in. Obviously he liked to be in control. He shoved his way past me to lead that way. I mutter profanities under my breath as I stomp after him. We make it to the clearing and I am greeted by the sight of no walkers near and a safe looking prsion. We walked up a gravel driveway and I examined the prison in greater detail. Watch towers, secure fences, and even cars.

"Rick! Open the gates." I watch as the gates open, Daryl gesturing for me to follow. I hesitantly walked into, only to be met by the staring eyes of many people. I squirmed slightly, glancing at my boots.

"Are you the girl that saved my son?" I see the man that tried to approach me yesterday, a gun attached to a holster on his waist.

"Yeah." Arms wrap around me, pulling me into a hug. It wasn't him, it was a heavily pregnant woman. She cried as she clutched onto me, smiling as she whispered into my ear,"Thank you for saving my baby."

She is pulled away by her shoulders from me, but she only smiles and wipes her eyes.

"I'm Rick." This is who Daryl was talking about. I shake his outstretched hand, surprised by the strong grip.

"Sarah." I mumble. Daryl still stood by my side, putting the feeling of comfort and ease into me for some reason.

"Alright. I might as well introduce you to everyone." He goes through the line of people, most giving me friendly smiles and waves. Hopefully I can remember all these names being thrusted upon me.

"Here, can I talk to you alone?" Rick asks. I nod, Daryl looking confusedly at us. I follow Rick inside the prison, surprised by the neatness. I enter a cell block. He stops, pointing to a cell.

"You can stay in here." I thank him, putting my bag on the bed in there.

"Now, I saw what you can do out there. I need more people like you out here with us, but I need to tell you something. Don't lay a finger on these people, Sarah. They mean everything to me, they're my family. I know you're a good person, and if we all work together we will be unstoppable." I smile at Rick, nodding my head slowly.

"How many walkers have you killed?" I realize now it's time for me to be questioned.

"I lost count. I've been alone, I do anything to defend myself." He nods, crossing his arms over his chest.