Chapter 19

You can change the world again, instead of protecting yourself from it.

When I walked outside to the group the next morning, they were in hysterics.

"What's going on?" I asked Rick quietly. Beth was clinging to Hershel in a fit of sobs. Daryl looked just as confused as he stood next to me.

"Maggie and Glenn went on a run," He whispered before looking away and shaking his head,"They left mid-afternoon yesterday and they aren't back." My heart descended into my chest. Fear took over me. Were they okay?

"Where did they go?" I questioned quickly. Daryl's hand instantly rested on the small of my back, a comforting gesture. He kept his eyes locked on Rick, not meeting my stare.

"I don't know. They needed to go to the store for something, they never came back." I ran my hands through my hair and finally decided on something.

"Have a group of us go out there," I firmly stated to Rick as I moved away from Daryl,"Hershel and Beth are in no state of mind to join us. I'll go, I know a couple of other people would, too." Rick pondered slightly for a moment.

"I don't-"

"I'll go, too." Daryl roughly spoke up. Finally, our leader complied.

"I'll gather a group." Then, he walked away and began to ask people around if they would come. It was decided Hershel, Beth, Judith and Carl would stay behind to watch the prison. I put my knife in my boot and my other one in my pocket for safe keeping. My gun, of course, was over my shoulder.

"Let's get moving!" We decided against vehicles, they could be in the woods and driving by would be pointless.

Beth ran up to me and wrapped her arms tightly around me, my body nearly losing balance. Over her shoulder I locked eyes with Daryl who only stared.

"Please, do your best and stay safe." When she pulled away I only could muster her a nod and a weak smile. I followed Daryl out of the gates. We trudged quietly behind the rest of the group.

"Is this really a good idea?" He asks. Our eyes lock briefly before I look away.

"They could need help, maybe the car broke down and they're stranded. Maybe they are even surrounded." 

"But, we are wasting other people. I don't know about-"

"If I was out there like this would you want to look for me?" I fire at him. I look into his eyes waiting for the answer,"Well?"

"Yeah, but-"

"There isn't anyway around this. Think of the people we are doing it for, we are doing it for them and the people who love and need them. This group will never be the same without them." Daryl shuts up and looks angrily to me. I knew if he could, he would be yelling at me. I was actually surprised he didn't push the subject any further.

We walked together as a group in the woods for awhile, nothing noticeable. I was slightly losing hope because we had been out here so long with nothing. Daryl stayed close to me, but he did not speak.

"Look!" Carol exclaimed as she pointed into the road. I pushed past her so I was in the front so I could see what she was talking about. I followed her finger to the car Maggie and Glenn were in. Before even thinking, I wander into the road and sprint across the street.

"Sarah!" I don't listen as I swing the door of the car open. There was nothing but the bags filled with supplies they were going to bring back to us. I knew then they had been surrounded, and they had no other choice to run.

"Anything?" I jump slightly when I see Rick standing behind me.

"No, I think they got forced out of the car," I step out and swing the door closed,"They wouldn't have left their stuff in here and if someone came and took them, why would they have not taken the supplies?" Rick nods and sighs.