Chapter 37

I jolted awake in bed. My breathing was heavy as my mind ran over the nightmare I just had.
Daryl sat up next to me, his hand resting on the small of my back. I rest my head against my knees and close my eyes tightly.

"I think I'm going to throw up." I mumble. Daryl pulls my hair out of my face. I lean back against his shoulder and shudder slightly.

"What happened exactly?" Daryl asks me,"you can tell me if you want." I sigh.

"Well, I was in a room with Glenn at first. There was just a damn curtain that stood between us. Daniel put something over my face when I woke up first, then I was out again. When I woke up again, Glenn was getting the shit beaten out of him because we said we wouldn't let him in and no one actually would let him into the prison. Glenn got taken out on the chair and the man came in and got me." I paused for a moment. Daryl grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly for reassurance.

"He told me to take my shirt off when I got in there. I told him no over and over again, so he finally cut the shirt and forced my bra off. Then his hands kept going over my chest and he wouldn't stop. I stood up and tried to move away but he just pinned me to the corner. But then you saved me."

"Sarah." Daryl mumbled into my ear. His arm pulled me into his chest. I felt comforted and secure in his arms. I hid my face into the crook of his neck, wondering why it had to be Glenn and me.

"Now I'm going to have scars." I whispered. Daryl pulled away and began to remove his flannel.

"W-what are you doing?" Daryl carelessly threw his flannel across the room and turned his back to me. I gasped. Scars littered all over his back, the ones I saw before we had sex. I had forgotten about it. My fingers lightly ran over the most prominent one, pulling away when tensed.

"You're fine." My hand went back to its previous position, lightly trailing over the scars that had accumulated over the years.

"What happened? Who did this to you?" I asked quietly.

"My mom, she died when I was eight. There was a fire and I came home from school to see what house it was. Turns out it was mine. My momma was in the bed, burned to death," A gasp escaped my lip and I could only imagine what it was like,"my dad drank a lot. Hit me, abused me. He did it to my brother, but he didn't know my dad was doing it to me until he saw my scars."

It was silent for a moment as I allowed my mind to process what he had told me. I slowly leaned forward, pressing my lips against one scar. Slowly, I moved on. Daryl pulled away and reached for me, pulling me into his bare chest. I sighed contently, kissing up his neck.

I was amazed he had opened up to me. Not many people knew his story, I was probably the only one here that knew everything. I locked my hand with his. Everything about this felt right.

"Whatever Daniel brings on, we will handle it," Daryl says,"we'll figure it out." His hand runs through my hair and I cringe slightly at what my hair probably feels like.

"Why does he have to do this? Try and take everything away from us?" I ask quietly. My eyes move up to lock with his and he sighs.

"I don't know, he's a bad person, ain't no good people left anymore," Daryl says but grins slightly,"other than you."

"I'm an awful person, Daryl." I laugh slightly.

"Other than what you've done, you have a heart of gold babe." My heart flutters and I see how embarrassed he becomes. A small laugh escapes my lips and I shake my head.

"That was awkward."

"I know, shut up woman." I giggle slightly and roll my eyes. Everything with Daryl felt right, like it was meant to be all along. It scared me because I had never felt anything as strong as this before, and I didn't know how to cope with what I was feeling. How was I suppose to admit how I felt? My eyes began to drop and Daryl noticed. I wished he didn't because I enjoyed the feeling of being wrapped against his bare chest.

"Let's lay down, ye need some sleep." He removed his arms from me and I shivered slightly from the cold. He laid down and I followed. I positioned myself so I could lay my head on his chest. The beating of his heart was strong and steady, just like he was. Reliable, always there. He was someone I couldn't let slip away from me.

Then, it all hit me at once. I gulped slightly and closed my eyes.

I was in love with Daryl, the man who had told me he couldn't love anything.

------

My eyes fluttered open. The brightness of the room struck me first, my hand reaching to cover my eyes. My fingers reached for Daryl and I frowned when I realized he wasn't there. I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes. Steadily I slid my boots over my feet and stood up.

I saw Carl first and smiled,"Hey buddy." Carl and I hadn't spoken much since my return and his smile showed me he missed it.

"Sarah, I'm so glad you're back." He said before running into my arms. I let out a small laugh and wrapped my arms around him. Being back had its perks, one of them being able to be with him.

"Same here, Carl." I sigh contently. He pulls away and leans in close.

"Daryl and my dad were talking earlier, Daryl said that you shouldn't know what was happening. My dad's doing something I don't know what it is." I raised my eyebrows slightly and put my hands on my hips.

"Is that so?" I question. Carl nods eagerly,"are they outside?"

"Yeah." I grab his hand and drag him down the stairs of the cell block with me. The warm sun wraps around my shoulders. I spot Daryl and immediately cross the distance over to him. He spots me and a look of concern flashes over his features.

Before he can speak, I do,"Where are you going?" I ask. Daryl immediately looks to Carl. Carl just smiles innocently at him.

"He told you?"

"Where are you going?" I repeat, gesturing to the car with his crossbow and Rick's gun in it.

"Daniel wants to meet with Rick in town, Glenn and I are going as back up in case shit happens." A frown forms on my face and I feel worry rise up in me.

"Be careful, his men could be anywhere." I quietly whisper. I understood now why he didn't want me to know, he wanted to keep me from worrying. I felt embarrassed and the red of my cheeks probably gave it away.

"I will, I promise." His lips attach with mine and I let go of Carl, bringing my hands to the back of his neck to pull him closer to me.

"Stop, please stop." Carl mutters and looks the other direction. I pull my lips away from his and wrap my arms around him tightly.

"Promise me you'll be safe?" I whisper in his ear.

"Promise."

He lets go and I watch him climb into the car with Rick, Glenn following. Carl's hand finds mine and he smiles at me. Worry washes over me again at the thought of everything that could go wrong, but Daryl's promise to me lingers in my mind. I knew he would do anything to make sure he came back.

As Carl held my hand for reassurance, I watch the car drive away and listen to the beating of my heart, the fast and steady rhythm. Just like Daryl's, which tied us together in an odd and twisted way.