chapter fifteen

:) why am i smiling? :) i guess you have to read to find out :)

also it's a bit short, oops. this is the story i want to tell, and i don't want it to be super long, y'know?

as i'm writing this a/n, steven universe future ended 3 days ago and it made me sad

xxxx

2D left the hospital the next day, as he was told. His arms were bandaged and he was prescribed two medications to replaced the ten he used to take – an antidepressant and some form of aspirin. The doctor had also told him to get plenty of rest, and he immediately obliged. Being in a coma was exhausting, according to him.

So he slept for quite a long time as soon as he got home. Murdoc wanted to worry, but as he watched 2D's breathing and the constant movements he made, he knew he didn't have to.

2D pulled Murdoc into a kiss when they were both awake, which surprised him. "What was that for?" he asked and the bluenette shrugged. "I dunno, I felt like it. Did you hate it? I'm sorry, I won't do it–"

He was cut off by Murdoc's lips on his own. "Don't apologise. I was surprised – I didn't hate it," he said and 2D frowned. "What does this make us?" he asked. Murdoc shrugged, not exactly sure. "I– I don't know. Whatever it makes us, the key is going slow. There doesn't have to be a label. Hell, you can even refer to me as the asshole who you love for some reason," he said and 2D scoffed.

"Absolutely not. C'mon, Murdoc. You may hate labels but I don't. I need to label it, and not what you just said. Something more, um... personal," 2D said.

"Personal? Like boyfriend?" Murdoc asked and 2D nodded, his face beginning to turn red. "Something like that," he whispered and Murdoc shrugged. "If it's what you want, then alright. Boyfriend..." he said.

2D's eyes lit up. "Really? But I only like the label if you like it," he said. Murdoc pursed his lips.

Boyfriend.

He liked the way it sounded, and how easy it was to say. He nodded. "I do like it, and I'd love to use it when referring to you," he said.

Murdoc cleared his throat. "However, I still like the nicknames," he said.

"Not Faceache and Stu-Pot and Dents, I hope."

Murdoc chuckled, shaking his head. "No, not those. Those aren't endearing nicknames like love and bluebird," he said. "Oh, I definitely like bluebird," 2D replied.

"It's a perfect nickname. Bluebirds are pretty, they sing and have blue feathers. You're pretty, you sing and have blue hair. It's almost as if it was meant to be," Murdoc said and the bluenette giggled. "You've got such a wise way of putting things. Too bad you sound as if you've smoked a pack of cigarettes a day since you were in the womb," he said.

"Oi! I do not. This voice comes from being manly."

2D giggled before he kissed Murdoc on the forehead. "Sure it does, Muds," he said.

"No, no, no. If you're gonna kiss me, you've gotta do it right," Murdoc stated before pulling the bluenette into a kiss. It was neither rushed or needy, but soft and patient. 2D found that he liked kissing Murdoc, despite the latter having chapped lips. He liked the way Murdoc smelled, weirdly. Like alcohol, cologne and cigarettes – but none of the scents were overwhelming. It was a perfect mix, and his favorite scent. It had been his favorite since he first met Murdoc.

Murdoc's opinion of the kiss was very similar, and he liked the constant aura of butterscotch that 2D gave off. He liked how soft 2D's lips were, and remembered that he normally used chapstick. The last one he'd used was vanilla-flavored, which meant that the kiss was like nothing Murdoc had ever experienced. He'd never kissed anyone who smelled like butterscotch and tasted like vanilla, and no one with the same hands as 2D had ever kissed him.

With others, their grip was needy and rough. 2D was a piano player, which meant he – more or less – knew exactly what to do with his hands. This was their fourth actual kiss, yet Murdoc felt like it was more. And he knew that he wanted 2D to be the only person he ever kissed again.

"I love you," Murdoc said, and he really meant it.

"I love you too," 2D replied.

"Always have, and always will."

xxxx

i really wanted it to be longer, but my brain was like "you have to finish it now" & so i did.

but dw, an epilogue is still gonna be coming soon. and a final author's note [at a much later time, though] where i can answer any and all questions you have, whether it be about the book in general, or my thought process when writing, or even my plans regarding and 2doc fics in the future [which may or may not be happening :)] [but will not be on wattpad. soz]

u can ask the stuff here!

remember, if you want anything answered, ask it there or else i won't answer it.

that's all until the epilogue. bye!