Chapter 12

"You're- you're kidding me, right?"

"How else would I know, Thanos?"

"I... I mourned him! The bastard!" Thanos seized a chair by its handles and hurled it against the wall, scarcely missing Shrek's head. The victimized chair shattered into tiny splinters that lodged into the floor like nails. Thanos was turbulent; utterly enraged. Only Shrek could calm him down. But Shrek stood still, scanning Thanos with his eyes and not moving a muscle.

"Shrek... help me!" Thanos whimpered, his voice wavering like a radio station.

"What do you mean, "I mourned him"?" Shrek inquired half-heartedly.

"He's dead, Shrek, he killed himself... but that's irrelevant! You don't care about him! So help me, please."

Thanos embodied hurt. Shrek could see his fragmented heart through the tears.

"You broke me, Thanos. I loved you. I did, and you didn't care. You were reckless, irresponsible and selfish! Get away from me. I'm leaving, don't follow. I never want to see you again." Shrek turned, planning to never look back, but not before Thanos clawed down on his arm roughly and thrust Shrek against a wall.

"I did it for you, babe. You never heard the full story. I love you and I always will, so before you assume anything, just know I did it for you. For us. I can't live without you, Shrek."

They're breath merged in the air like two aeroplanes colliding. Shrek had never felt more erotic then he did now, and Thanos knew this. But Shrek couldn't give in that easy. If Thanos wanted him back, he ought to earn it. Shrek didn't know the full story, that much was true, but he knew a portion of it.

"I believe you. But I can't forgive you. Yet. Goodbye, Thanos."

Thanos couldn't handle it. All the pain in his life felt like nothing when he was with Shrek, but now he was gone. Thanos didn't know how to cope; couldn't cope. His head span with hideous thoughts and before he could stop it he had become someone else. Someone driven by love, lust and desire. Unconscious to his movements, Thanos grabbed a splinter from the chair. He slowly crept up behind Shrek, who was halfway down the hotel hallway, and when he got close enough:

He stuck the splinter into Shrek's back.