Blood and Light

Everyone makes mistakes. You stub your toe; forget to feed the fish; drop a plate; neglect to kill that orc which is about to stab you with his spiky sword. Wait, what?

Pain, a knife slicing through flesh. My brain is a moment behind my body so I don’t quite comprehend what is happening as the metal barbs catch in my flesh and rip me apart as he pulls the blade out. I lash out, catching at his throat with my knife and watching his life quickly leach away. And then 2 things happen simultaneously: blood and light.

In the distance there is a light, a fiery light, and a strange screeching, screaming sound along with the sound of crumbling rubble. Sauron’s tower must have fallen. Everyone stops to stare in horror or joy. The earth shudders and the enemy runs as we are hit with a shockwave. The ground begins to crumble and I throw myself away from the growing abyss, onto firmer ground.

So that was the light, but I’m too busy with the blood to take much notice. There’s none, for a moment which seems to take forever, and then suddenly there’s too much. I look down and my abdomen is soaked with crimson red as a gaping wound in my right side releases a waterfall. Only when I see it do I really feel it, a pain I can’t describe, one worse than I could ever have imagined. And fear, a fear which can only be defined as crippling. I fall to my knees, clutching at myself in a feeble attempt to make it stop. I hear a cry, a woman’s cry. I didn’t know there was another woman here. But there isn’t is there. That scream is coming from me, so I stop, trying to keep calm in what seems like the hardest possible situation to stay calm in. Breathing hurts so I try not to but despite my best efforts I still hear the ragged gasps which have become breathing to me, still feel the burning in my chest and side that comes with each breath, but I don’t feel the air in my lungs, all I feel is the pain and the fear. And the cold, I’m so cold.

More light, and an explosion sound in the distance. I look up, a brief distraction from my current nightmare, and see the mountain is in the process of blowing up. Some withdrawn, detached part of my mind registers that Frodo and Sam must be in there, and that small part of me cries.

Blood. So much blood.

And then darkness among the light. Darkness creeping in on me.

I have to do something. I’m going to die. I don’t want to die. I’m scared. I don’t want to die. I’m going to die. I have to do something.                                                                    

I grab my leggings, torn and bloody, and rip off a huge patch which I fold over and stuff onto my side, trying to not sob from the pain it causes. Then I grab my belt, loosen it a little and yank it up over the patch before tightening it again.

A scream, my scream.

Blood.

Light in the distance.

Darkness in my mind.

Legolas. His voice telling me I’m ok.

Dad. His arms rocking me to sleep.

Just hallucinations, but they’re comfort anyway.

Fear.

Tiredness. So tired now.

Pain.

Blood, flowing less than before as the patch and belt plug the wound a little.

Light.

Then dark. Only dark.

*******************

This is just a very short chapter, less than half what I would normally let myself post, but it didn't really feel right to post anymore so this is just a very short one. Hope you like it anyway!

Have good day! :-):-)