Relearning the Basics

“It’s official, I hate you” I say between gritted teeth, trying not to yell it.

“No you don’t” Legolas says.

“Yes I do!” I say, finally giving up on staying quiet.

“Hey, you’re the one who said you wanted to be walking in time for your dad’s coronation” Legolas says defensively, catching me as I lose my grip on the wooden crutch I’m using to hold me up as I tentatively place one foot in front of the other and try not listen to my screaming side.

“Couldn’t someone just wave a magic wand or something?”

“Ana you’ve been in bed for weeks and the coronation is just around the corner, you can’t put this off any longer” Legolas says, handing me my crutch and supporting me as I attempt to make another circuit of this tiny room which has become my hell.

“Ugh, why do you always have to be right?” I ask, leaning heavily on the crutch and slowly tottering forwards. I stumble, nearly going down, but Legolas catches me instantly. “I can’t do this Legolas” I sob hopelessly, leaning on him.

“Don’t be silly, of course you can. Physically you’re perfectly capable, it’s just a state of mind” Legolas says, positioning me back on my feet again. I rest all my weight on the crutch, feeling the padded wood dig into me and feeling secure knowing it’s here. “Look at you Ana. Where’s that spark, where’s your spunk?” Legolas asks, and he’s right. Ever since the battle I’ve not been feeling the same.

“Well how would you be feeling if someone had stuck a piece of rusty metal through your side?” I snap at him.

“I’m not famous for making a scene whenever possible and never using words when rash actions would do. You can’t let this change you”

“But it’s so hard, Legolas. Everything is so hard!”

“I know but you can’t let it beat you”

“Too late honey” I say bitterly.

“Ana, we set out from Rivendell with one quest, one goal, destroy that damn ring, and it has been destroyed. Think about all we’ve been through, all you’ve done in that time. You’ve made friends, lost friends. Saved lives and taken them. You’ve learned things about your past you never dreamed you would know, and you’ve learnt things about yourself too. Are you really going to let this be the thing that brings you down? After all that”

“You missed out the most important thing I’ve done”

“What?”

“Everything to do with you”

“Then do you think you could do this for me?” he asks, ruining our perfect little moment by bringing us back to the point I was trying to avoid.

“I can’t, Legolas!” I yell, frustrated at my own uselessness more than at him “I just can’t do it!”