I Promise

Today is the day of the coronation, and I’m not looking forward to it. I’m stood alone in my room in the citadel, staring out of the window in silence. It’s dad’s big day and I should be excited for him but I’m terrified for myself instead.

There’s a knock at the door and I sigh, calling out “Come in”.

The door creaks open and Legolas’ head appears.

“Hey” he says.

“Hey. What are you doing here?”

“Just dropping in to see you since tonight is probably going to be a bit hectic and we might not get a chance to properly talk” he says, then his face becomes concerned “Are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m fine” I reply, but Legolas knows better than to believe me. He closes the door behind him and comes to stand by my side.

“What’s up?” he asks.

“Nothing”

“You sure? Because you look like someone who just found out their birthday has been cancelled”

“What?”

“You look miserable”

“Oh”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not really. But you’re going to make me aren’t you”

“I am. So are you going to tell me about it or do I need to break out my best persuasive techniques?”

“I don’t have a choice do I?”

“Nope”

“Ugh fine” I sigh, resting my head on his shoulder and relenting “The truth is I’m terrified of what happens after today”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m so scared that because everything is going to change now I’m going to start losing people, I’m scared I’m going to lose dad. I don’t know what happens to me now. What am I supposed to do? Where do I go? After today Aragorn will be king, and I’ll be the king’s daughter. What am I supposed to do with that? And what if the people hate me?”

“They won’t hate you” Legolas hastily puts in “You’re amazing, they’ll love you”

“Really? Because the way I see it I’m a silly little nobody who will wake up tomorrow part of the royal family, a position I have no right to hold. And I know I’m not actually going to be in line for the throne but that doesn’t stop me being the king’s daughter. Even if they don’t hate me for being a nobody who barged their way into the royal family of a people I am nothing to do with, they’ll sure as hell hate me for what I represent”