Downtime

"Well, we got some new games, wanna play?" Lapis asked grabbing a controller and handing it to her.

Peridot nodded as a smile began to form on her lips. Small and timid, but still genuine. Seeing that, Lapis could her face heat up in a blush. She turned away hastily before getting up to grab her controller and put the disc in the XBOX.

     The two played the video game for hours, barely noticing the time that passed. It was great escapism for the both of them, just being together in a low-stress environment using teamwork for the sake of feeling accomplished. Before they knew it, the sun had already gone down.

"Yeah, great job! You're getting the hang of this," Peridot said happily.

"Haha, thanks! You're pretty good yourself," Lapis replied laughing and smiling brightly.

Glancing at her face, Peridot could feel her cheeks heat up madly. She hadn't seen Lapis smile like that before.

     She's never smiled like that before. It's kinda cute. What? What am I thinking? Why do I keep having thoughts like this? Peridot thought to herself.

The two sat in silence for a bit until Lapis got up. "Welp, I'm hungry. Anything you need me to grab while I'm in here?" Lapis asked.

Peridot's large smile waned as she became distracted from the enchantment of escaping into her game with Lapis as her thoughts began to wander back to the previous night, causing her to curl up against the pillows and blankets and gripping one over her slightly shaking body.

Lapis walked back in with two trays with watermelon slices in her hands when she noticed Peridot huddled on the futon surrounded by the blankets. She set the plates on the table and sat next to her, placing a hand on her shoulder to comfort her.

     "God, are you ok?" Lapis asked the shaken girl gripping the blankets around her.

      Peridot looked back up at Lapis started before wiping her tears own away and nodding.

      "H-Here, I got you a snack," Lapis said awkwardly handing her the plate of watermelon slices.
She took the plate of watermelon and took a bite giving off a very slight smile, to which Lapis slightly smiled in response.

"Kinda tired. What time is it?" Lapis said to herself checking her watch.

"Shit. We should probably get some sleep. Well, I-if you would like."

     Peridot nodded in response as she allowed Lapis to help her over to her bed, carefully draping blankets over her.

    She could see her taking off her large rounded glasses and setting them at the table beside her. Seeing Peridot begin to peacefully drift off to sleep, Lapis he added to her own bed across the dorm room and did the same, falling asleep at the reassurance that Peridot was safe and happy.

A/N: WHOSE READY FOR SOME ANGST IN THE NEXT CHAPTER? (Hurt/comfort type angst)