The Garden

A/N: H E R E I N T H E G A R D E N
(Not related to Spinel's garden)

Peridot's POV

     I woke up to the smell of bacon, pancakes and the sound of humming. I slowly opened my eyes, adjusting to the light from outside since Lapis seemed to have opened the window. I sit up, feeling the pain from my back and legs begin to flare up at the sudden movement. Lapis, who I could see was in the living room eating a pancake from a fast food box.

"Oh, morning Peri!" Lapis chirped turning her head to me.
"I ordered some waffles," she added. "Help yourself."

"Thanks," I replied. Despite my deadpanned expression, I could feel the slightest bit of happiness inside myself. I headed to the kitchen and grabbed a box of pancakes and bacon. I sat next to her on the couch and started to eat with the plastic fork and knife included in the box.

     "I see you're walking ok," She added.
I nodded still too timid to speak. I guess I didn't notice how much the pain in my legs decreased.

       "Would you be up to take a walk with me later?" She asked quietly. Once again, I nodded in response.
     "J-Just not too long," I added.

     "It shouldn't be," she replied with a small but genuine smile. This was just how she smiled at others.

"Ok," I replied as I finished the last pancake on my tray.

3rd Person POV

     A few minutes later, the two threw away their trays, changed into different clothes, and both got into Lapis's car to walk through the garden.

     "So.. how far is this place?" Peridot asked quietly from the back seat.

    "Shouldn't be too far away," Lapis replied starting her car.

Peridot's POV

    The ride to the garden was quiet, but I couldn't help but notice while I was glancing around a bunch of large scars on Lapis's back that were not covered by her crop top. They were plenty in number, even more than the cuts on my back and legs combined. It made me feel horrible for her. Jasper was pretty merciless the other day when it came to inflicting pain on me; I could only imagine what she did to her. At that moment, I only wanted to give her a kis— I mean hug. From all this poor girl has been through, she deserved it more than anyone.

3rd person POV

"Peridot, are you ok back there? You've been pretty quiet since we got in the car," Lapis asked in a gentle tone.

      "O-Oh! Hah.. I-I'm alright," she replied looking out the window and spotting a parking lot they were pulling into.

"It's a bit of a walk to the garden, but I'm always able to help if you need," Lapis stated.

"Thanks," Peridot replied opening the car door and stepping out.

     They walked for about 15 minutes until they reached the garden, conversating the whole way.
      "I can assume from the amount of flowers and bees that this is the place?" Peridot asked.

The remark made Lapis chuckle. "Yep. You guessed right," she said.

Peridot fell silent again, looking down in a lowered gaze.

      Lapis took notice of this and rested her hand on Peridot's shoulder gently, but Peridot pulled away frantically, hyperventilating. The fear in her eyes was visible as sweat rolled down her forehead. Then, Lapis remembered. It sunk from her active awareness when they were talking, laughing and joking around. Lapis quickly removed her hand from Peridot's shoulder and backed up realizing she startled her.

      "Sorry! Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you! Gah! I shouldn't have touched your shoulder I'm so-" She was cut off.

    Peridot took a breath and hugged Lapis's arm. "N-No it's ok. I-It was an accident. You didn't mean to," she said. "I-I was just startled."

They sat for a second to allow Peridot to compose herself as she nuzzled into Lapis's sleeve.

      "Why don't we keep going?" Peridot asked letting go of her companion. Lapis nodded as they continued along the path through the garden.

Time Skip 1 hour

The pain In Peridot's legs began to increase as her walking pace slowed. Suddenly, she tripped over her own fatigue.

"O-Oh god! A-Are you ok?" Lapis asked helping her friend up off the ground.

"Y-Yeah. I- I'm fine. Just.. j-just tired," She replied.

"Ok. Wanna find a bench and sit down?" Lapis asked.

"Yeah," Peridot replied beginning to limp.

"H-Here, may I carry you?" Lapis asked, holding out her arms.

Peridot nodded getting picked up bridal style and carried to a bench.

Lapis set her down and sat beside her as the other leaned against her, exhausted.

     "Hey, m-may I put my arm around you?" Lapis asked cautiously.

     "Yeah," Peridot replied as Lapis rested her arm around her.

They sat in silence, taking in the beautiful sights of the garden.

"W-When did you get the idea t-to first come h-here?" Peridot asked meekly, turning to Lapis.

"I don't exactly remember, but I guess I just drove past it and thought it would be nice to walk through. I know there's this one bird bath up ahead where they sell birdseeds," Lapis replied.

In response, Peridot smiled, as she struggled to get up.

"Do you need any help?" Lapis asked getting up and holding out her arm.

"T-Thanks," Peridot replied, taking her arm.