Chapter 16

Roni's POV:

1 Month Later

Every news station is talking about Lagos. Mostly about how the Avengers should have prevented any casualties, but also about Wanda. I heard a few things about me as well, but I think Tony used his pull to make them good things.

Stuff like, 'Like Wanda Maximoff, Veronica Stark is an enhanced individual, yet she used her gift to make sure no one died. She even bound one of the mercenaries instead of killing him' and 'Veronica Stark is a smart enhanced individual who knows her powers and keeps them in check.'

It's ridiculous. I know Wanda is feeling this heavy weight on her chest because of this. We've talked every night since then and all she can think about is if those people had families. She's torturing herself. I feel bad for the girl, ever since Pietro died she hasn't been the same.

Neither have I, but he was her twin, she's obviously taking it harder. I hear a knock on my door. I've been listening to music and drawing all afternoon so I take out my earbuds. "Come in." I call. The door opens to reveal Tony. I smile and get up, going over and hugging my brother.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" I ask. "The Secretary of State wants to talk with us." He says. I sigh. "Ok, let's go see what he has to say." I say. He nods and together we walk into the conference room. We all sit down and stare up at the Secretary, waiting for him to speak.

"Five years ago I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after thirteen hours in surgery and a triple bi-pass, I found something 40 years in the army never taught me. Perspective." He states.

We all sit silently, waiting for him to continue. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. But while there are a lot of people who see you as heroes, some would prefer the term vigilantes." He says. My eyes widen in shock.

"And what word would you use Mr. Secretary?" Nat asks him. "How about dangerous?" He says. We let it sit for a second. Is that really how the world sees us? All we try to do is good. Save as many people as possible and if the building is damaged then boo hoo.

"What would you call a U.S. based, enhanced group of individuals who blatantly ignore sovereign borders and enforce their will? And who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He asks us. Then the projector turns on.

Scenes of us from every battle we've been in comes on. "New York. Washington D.C., Sokovia, Lagos." He says. When Lagos comes up I see Wanda shift. "Ok, that's enough, shut it off." I snap, reaching next to me and grabbing her hand, squeezing it tightly.

'It's not your fault.' I think to her. 'But it is.' She replies before going silent, signaling our mental conversation to be over. I sigh and sit back in my chair. The Secretary has his guy shut off the footage finally.

"For the past four years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. And I think we have a solution. The Sokovia Accords." He says, handing Wanda a giant book.

"Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers will no longer be a private organization. Instead they'll operate under the United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary." He explains. Wanda shoves the book to Rhodey, not wanting to look at it.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place, I feel we've done that." Steve states. I start thinking about everything. I can see both a good side and a bad side to this agreement. I actually want to stay out of it, but I know I can't.

"Tell me Captain, can you tell me where Thor and Banner are now? If I misplaced a bunch of thirty mega-ton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise, reassurance, that's how the world works. Believe me, this is middle ground." He states.

"So there are contingencies." Rhodes says. "In three days the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." He says, going to leave the room. "And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Nat asks. "The you retire." The Secretary says, walking out. I let out a breath.

I don't know what to do. The reason the Avengers work is because we're able to be at the places we need to be when we need to be there. If we have to get approval we may be too late for something. But then again, everywhere we go there is so much destruction and death.

Everywhere we have gone we have needed to be there. I look at my brother and Steve. I want to know where their heads are at and at the same time, I don't want it to shift my own opinions. As Sam and Rhodey start arguing I tune everyone out, lost in my own mind.

I hear the yelling, I ignore it, I hear the logic, but I ignore it. Right now I just need to know what thoughts are mine and what ideas are being implanted in my head by the others around me who all have reasons for feeling the way they do.

Unlike most of them I don't have a biased standpoint. I wasn't in Washington when they crashed the helicarriers, I've held up buildings to make sure everyone was out. I have no guilty conscious. My brother is acting out of anger towards himself.

His self-resentment is eating away at him. Steve has a good point in, but it is, like Rhodey said, arrogant. Nat has a good idea. I've been closest to her conclusion so far, but I'm not siding. I can't. There is no right thing to do. I see Steve look down at his phone. "I have to go." He says.

He then walks out of the room. "I'll be right back." I mumble, getting up and following Steve downstairs. "Hey, what's going on?" I ask, concerned for the man in front of me. "She's gone." He says, eye tearing up. My eyes widen and I cover my mouth with my hand.

I don't need to ask him who 'she' is because we've spent countless hour talking about this. I pull him into a comforting hug, letting him just acknowledge what he just leaned. "Her funeral is in three days in London." He says. "I can go if you want me to." I say, pulling away. He just nods.

Over the past year Steve and I have gotten closer. Besides Nat and Clint, he is my best friend for the sheer reason that he understands  a lot. I'd do anything for him. I sigh, with Peggy Carter's death and the Sokovia Accords happening, this is going to be an interesting few days.

The question is, am I prepared for it?