Chapter 20

Roni's POV:

Sam and Steve go talk in a corner while I take Bucky's arm out of the clamp. "Who are you and why are you helping me? I know why the other one is helping Steve, but you're not like him. Why?" Bucky asks me, looking deep into my eye.

"My name's Veronica, most people call me Roni. And I know what it's like to be under Hydra's control, to not know who you are." I say. "How could you know what it's like?" He asks me, not breaking eye contact when I finally release him from his bonds.

"Four years ago Hydra kidnapped me and wiped my memory. Then they experimented on me and two others. They gave me these powers and convinced me to fight against my friends and family. Made me hate my own brother." I say. Something flashes in his eyes. Understanding?

"Well luckily a year ago I was rescued and my memories regained, but while I know I couldn't control them, while I trained my powers, I killed several people. Not necessarily innocent, but still." I say shrugging.

"I may have worked for S.H.I.E.L.D. for years, but I never killed anything that wasn't alien or about to kill me." I say. He nods. "I'm sorry." He says. "Don't be. You didn't do anything." I say. He nods. "Also, what's your name?" I ask. "Buc-" "No, your real name, not a nickname." I say.

"James, but I don't like going by that." He says. "Well why not?" I ask. "It reminds me of the man I no longer am." He says. "Well, I like it, and I'm going to call you James." I say. "Why?" He asks, intrigued.

"Because, whenever I came home I had people calling me everything but Roni except Wanda and Steve because they thought bringing it up would hurt me. Then I realize I preferred it. Because, Roni is who I used to be. And even though I've changed, it's who I liked me best as."

I continue, "So I may never be able to go back before Hydra, but just my name helps me think that that is who I'm striving to be again. So, James, I want you to embrace your past. It's the only way you'll accept yourself in the future." I say. He nods, smiling a bit at me.

We stare at each other for a little bit. His eyes are incredibly blue and mesmerizing. The moment is stopped when Sam clears his throat. "Come on you two, let's go." He says. Nodding we walk over to where he are. "Where's Steve?" I ask.

"Well, while you two were gazing lovingly into each other's eyes he went out to get us a car." He says. Blushing I nod, looking at the ground. Suddenly we hear a rickety old motor as an old bug drives into the warehouse. I smile a little at the small car.

James and I climb into the back while Sam takes the front. We then take off into the outskirts of the city. We park under a bridge behind a sleek black car. Sharon Carter in standing outside of it. Steve get's out and goes over to talk to her.

After sitting there in silence for a while Bucky breaks it by asking, "Can you move your seat up?" "No." Sam replies. I roll my eyes at the man childishness. Then we look out the window again to see Steve kissing Sharon.

She's a sweet girl and all, but I can tell just be being with the two together that Steve doesn't love her like that. Steve looks back at us and we all grin at him. He gives us a 'really?' face. We all laugh as he gets into the car and we take off to meet Clint who has a guy Sam knows and Wanda.

We all get out of the car when we park in a parking garage. "Cap." Clint says. They shake hands. Smiling I walk up and hug my oldest friend. "Hey Clint. How's Laura and the kids?" I ask. "They're great. Lila wants you to come visit again." He says.

"Well she might be waiting a while for that." I say. He nods. I back up and he goes over to the van. When I turn to look at Bucky and Sam Bucky has this angry look on his face. I pull him off to the side. "Hey, what's up?" I ask. "Who are these people?" He asks.

"I know Clint and Wanda, two of my best friends and there's another guy who Sam knows." I say. After I mention Clint and Wanda being m friends he relaxes. "Ok." He says, trusting me. I shrug off his weird behavior and turn back to the van. "Wanda." I say.

She smile and we run up and hug each other. "We should get going!" Bucky says. Sirens go off. "They're evacuating the airport." Bucky says. "Tony." I say, knowing my brother is behind this. "Tony?" The new guy asks. "Suit up." Steve says.

Wanda and I go off to change away from the boys. "You ok to do this?" I ask her. "No, but it's the right thing." She says. I nod. Once everything is in place we head back to where the boys are, but Wanda stops me. "What is it?" I ask. "Be careful out there, ok?" She asks. I nod. "You too."

With that we head back to the others. "Ok, so here's the plan." Steve says. We listen closely to every detail Steve is going over. No matter what we need to get Steve and Bucky onto the Quinjet, preferably all of us, but that might not happen. "Let's go." Steve says.

We all take off to get into position. Before I can go though Bucky catches my arm. "Be safe, ok?" He says. I smile and nod. "You too James." With that I take off into my position. Let's just hope my brother isn't the dumbass I know him to be.