Chapter 23- It's not over

Chapter 23- It’s not over

~“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.” 
― Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper~

Those words kept running in my head. Who wrote that letter? Can it be Eugene?

Perhaps he is not dead after all.

Perhaps it was his clone or his replica or a look alike.

Perhaps that person in the picture was not Eugene. He might be someone else.

What if the person writing these threats isn’t Eugene? What if it is someone from our own kingdom who doesn’t like us?

“King Arthur, I want to know who the head of the night security is.” I demanded.

I couldn’t think rationally. I wanted to know who was behind those attacks.

The bullet had thankfully missed Diana’s heart. It went straight through her shoulder, protecting my heart and injuring her shoulder blade.

The operation was successful, but no visitors were allowed yet. I myself didn’t want to visit her because I was ashamed.

Ashamed of the fact that it was because of me my woman was in the bed, lying unconscious.

“Christopher.” King Arthur’s gruff voice made me get back to reality.

“The head of the security department is one of my most trusted men, Abraham.” King Arthur announced.

He had brought in Abraham with him, a short man in his mid-fifties who did not look fit at all.

His face had a rude cut, which made him look slyer than he probably was.

“Who was the person out there?” I asked him.

“How am I supposed to know, your highness?” He asked me.

“You are supposed to be taking care of the security at night Abraham!” I snapped, losing my cool.

“You can’t be that careless.” I snarled.

“Your highness, I am just the head of the department. I am not guarding the whole palace.” He retorted.

“Well, you are the head Abraham; you are indirectly guarding the whole place.” I finally growled and moved out of the room.

That man seemed dubious. There was something out there which I just couldn’t point out. He was not the reason behind the gunshot. He cannot be that stupid to give up his job.

If he was planning something, it would be a long-term effect which would affect everything and everyone.

I shook my head at these nugatory thoughts.

I was worked up, emotionally and physically. I was hungry too and tired. This was not a good combination.

I had a sudden urge of punching something. I had to work out. This bottled up anger would be up to no good.

I made my way to the gymnasium of the palace when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Chris, mate, Diana is conscious.” Nate said and suddenly all my anger seemed to melt out.

***

I filled in the glass of water which Diana had subtly hinted for and gave her.

“So, did you honestly think you could hide the fact that someone has been threatening you from me?” I asked her as she drank the water.